I have my dash apart for paint

Im thinking about upgrading to some LED bulbs

What color are you guys liking ?

I was gonna go with green

Thx !!!!

·
Registered
750 Posts
I replaced mine out a couple yrs ago, and landed on 'warm white' as the best color for my taste.
The little lenses are already blue (at least 64s are, not sure about 63), so bulb colors such as green yield a different color than you might expect. Warm white closely simulates the color warmth that incandescent bulbs put out.

This is a pic of my dash with the warm whites...plus I added the 'whitegauge.net' overlays in the brushed look. The fuel and temp pods look more blue in the photo, but they look the same as the speedo to my eyes.

Hth Norm

dashlights1017a by 1964 Galaxie 500, on Flickr

·
Registered
453 Posts
i meant the ones shown here are 64 with white background. i have the white led s, and they look good, but different than on 64

·
Registered
91 Posts
What’s the best way to access and change all the lights.. just flip upside down under dash or is there a way to drop out the dash and plug them all up?

·
Registered
750 Posts
If you're young and dexterous, then yep you may be able to still fish them all out from underneath. Me though, I went with the old and slow way, aka disconnect battery cable, unscrew speedo cable, remove cluster screws and tilt the entire cluster ass'y forward.

Put a nice soft towel on the steering column, and then you have a safe place to rest it while you do your thing. I had mine out for a cluster overhaul, but I still used the towel deal.

I used a sharpie and numbered each one so it went back in the right hole. --take your time with them, so later your memory is clearer. ;)

Hth Norm

What’s the best way to access and change all the lights.. just flip upside down under dash or is there a way to drop out the dash and plug them all up?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Also remove the speaker and it will give you a ton more room - it allows you reach your arm across

1 - 13 of 13 Posts