Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again, here is a stupid question for you galaxie gurus out there.
What is the approx. length of a 390+c6 package for the -68gal ?
Have already shipped my old stoc engibe, so cant messure any longer, and the 460+c6 wont get in there due to budget considerations these days, but i have a couple of alternatives, complete engine+trans combos from various cars, but would be nice to be able to measure so that i know it will fit before i get to far in to it, with building new driveshaft and so on.

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
Actually, any engine that ever came in it you can bet will physically fit with the usual changes (engine and trans mounts/x-members, exhaust, cooling hookup and shroud, etc). Others that never did likely will, as the Gal has a huge engine compartment and large trans tunnel. If doing something odd (like a 2.3L turbo 4-cyl), the other primary consideration is oil pan clearance to the cross-member or steering linkage, limiting you to certain oil pan shapes and depths. Occasionally, the height can be an issue (truck EFI, etc.) or large odd configurations (7.3L turbo diesel) interfering with stuff like the steering box or master cylinder/booster. Keep in-mind that stock engine choices can be 'bolted-in' with the correct factory parts, but odd ones can take much more fabrication as custom installations. What were you thinking of dropping in there?

David

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a fairly fresh rebuilt -69 olds 350 with 400 trans. Made my vista cruiser scream nicely, and thought it might help me push my ford around while i fix up the 460.

Main problem as i see it now is the sump clearance, but my own fabrication is cheap compared to hotting up another engine from scratch.
And then there were those turbo manifolds... different story.

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
The Olds 350 is a solid engine, and with some pan and pickup mods should work. Boost too? That sounds like fun. Measure everything to confirm and do it. Do it now. ;)

David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts