Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since there are so many different weights of oil curious to see what all you run and why. Not worried about the brand just the weight.

I use the rule of thumb:
.002 or less bearing clearance 0-30w/5w-30
.002-.0025 clearance 10-40
.0025 or higher 15w-50

There are guys who run 0w oil in their engines. A lot of NASCAR teams run it in qualifying and a lot of pro stockers run it also.

What’s your weight?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Scotsman on 1/6/07 9:58pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I weight about 205... But my car's they weight about 10W30... Wassamatta? Youse thinkin' I'm a Fatso?

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
did you see the car craft dyno test that got about 17hp by only switching to synthetic?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
17hp from switching from conventional to synthetics. Amazing, the most I've ever heard of was about a 3-5hp difference. Car Craft may be over exaggerating as alot of magazines do.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
don't want to turn this into a AMSOIL discussion, I know it great stuff. We was having a bench racing session in the shop the other night and it went to oil viscosity. We got in to issues.....you have to run a dry sump pump with oil cooler to run 0w oils. If you run a conventional pump you need at least 10w. The it went to oil weight compaired to bearing clearances.
How do you all determine what visocity......

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Scotsman on 1/7/07 12:09am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I simply use 10W30 in all my rebuilds. I don't try to determine anything.... But I don't build race motors.... Just good strong ones.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I learned a lot at the Engine Masters contest. Going from heavy ( 20-50 racing) down to 0-20 Royal Purple racing was worth 24 HP on a 550 Hp engine. Now I always use 10-30 for most engine buildups, That alone was 10-12 HP for free. On one engine I was running on the dyno, A 350 Chevy, tunnel ram,big roller cam, with his 25-50 racing oil, it made 626 HP, going to # 11 Royal purple(5-30) it made 652 HP with no other changes. JOE SHERMAN RACING

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I personally run 5w50 Synergyn synethic oil from Dyson Oils . As far as I am concerned its the best thing out there.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
That's a pretty amazing jump in power BigJoe. Dang. I wonder how a 0-30W synthetic oil would respond??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts