Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got a frame from a 66 galaxie 4 door, to put under my 67 fastback.

The 66 frame need 2 repairs then its off to be blasted and painted.

the front passenger side part of the frame that the bumper mounts to has a lot of erosion from battery acid. and the passenger side rear looks to have suffered some damage at some point in time.
fortunately as bad as my 67s frame is these 2 sections are suitable for grafting onto the 66.

The 67 body is off the frame as well.

The 67 body is currently resting on a home made body cart.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The 67 body is currently resting on a home made body cart.

I am interested to know what you did to build the 'body cart' as I am thinking seriously of pulling the body of my '66 fastback to restore my frame and modify the suspension.

In this pic it looks like you built it from wood and I'd lile to know what you did to make it strong enough to hold the body.

Jim

·
Registered
34 Posts
You would probably find the body is not very heavy. I have done some frame off work on other body-on-frame cars, and the body was pretty easily carryable by 4 guys.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am interested to know what you did to build the 'body cart' as I am thinking seriously of pulling the body of my '66 fastback to restore my frame and modify the suspension.

In this pic it looks like you built it from wood and I'd lile to know what you did to make it strong enough to hold the body.

Jim

2-2x6x8'
2-2x4x8'
2-4x4x6'
4 suitable casters
about 20 3" drywall screws
8-6" wood screws
16-3"wood screws

attach 2x4 and 2x6 flush on one side with 3" drywall screws (this will go into the frame channels in the body)

4x4's attach to the 2x4-2x6 rails with the 6" wood screws (space the 2x4-2x6 rails the same width as your frame rails )

i will past a pic or 2 latter

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
... that body on the cart above easily weight 1500 lbs... 4 guy's my butt, not even if I was one of them. :O
I agree- just scrapped my old mark vii shell, had carpet, front/rear glass still in it, but no doors/interior/frontclip/drivetrain/suspension...scrap yard weighed it in at just under 1700, never ever woulda guessed that...floor/quarters/roof, front unibody was all that was really there...

i was fortunate enough to come across a couple hydraulic lift tables, pulled the 3 phase motors off the pumps, replaced with cheep harbor freight ryobi drill motors...made it easy on/off, rolled around easy(had a 'cradle' bolted to the car) heres a short video:
http://s301.photobucket.com/user/ford4v429/media/galaxie/galaxiebodymounting.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

cant believe its going on ten years ago...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I guess the glass makes a huge difference. I always removed it before pulling the body off. It was just me and 3 other normal size dudes rolling it around.

Wouldn't be the first time I have been wrong!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did the same frame off using a '66 Country Sedan frame. It worked out well, but I found that the parking brake cable mounting locations are different. You will need the '67 bracket on the left rear frame rail and you'll need to drill a couple of holes n the '66 frame under the driver side fire wall.

Have fun, it's really not too bad to do.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i dropped the frame off on 5/7/13 at 2:00pm (place closes at 4:00pm)
to be blasted and painted, just got a call that it is done today 5/9/13 at 8:00am

·
Registered
208 Posts
Wow! Looking good, and very quick too!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got all the front upper and lower control arms blasted. Will paint them tomorrow and install the new bushings and ball joints.
also have the rear axle housing tore taken apart so it can be blasted and painted.
Hope to have the suspension back on the frame this weekend.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Been awhile but I'm still making progress. The frame is all together just waiting for the parts to rebuild the C6. then its time ti set the drive train in the frame. I did get to mock up the FPA headers.

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
Nice work

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got some more work done today. Finished the C6 rebuild also got the engine painted and mated up to the trans. Then set them in the frame.
still need a valve body for the trans, and push rods and new adjusters for the rockers, then I need to clearance the intake for the push rods.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
got the body back on the frame today

lifted the back with a cherry picker.

lifted the front with a chain fall

got the body up and slid the frame under

back where it belongs

1 - 20 of 30 Posts