Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had to build the baddest 302 on the planet, but still make it streetable, what combination of stock and over the counter parts would you use? Bear in mind that you want to keep the cost below $5,000.00 and keep it streetable!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
No question about it, I'd go with a twin turbo setup. Id rig up an in cabin boost conroller so I could adjust it while im driving. 600+ Horse power is not unheard of in 5.0TT motors at 17-20 psi. When on the street, you could turn the boost down to 5-8 psi and run at 350-400 HP. This could be done cheaply if using junkyard parts, but better rods and pistons are needed at the very minimum. Ive heard of TT systems made from junkyard Turbocoupe turbos put together for under $1500 and running in the 11's.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Don't mean to sound like a smartass but for $5000 you probably couldn't build the baddest 302 in your neibourhood let alone the planet

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
The 302 in the mustang uses owner ported 289 heads, stock crank, 289 rods and TRW pistons. It runs on pump gas (without the nitrous), has a moderate sized solid flat tappet cam (236/248 @ 0.050&quot
and pushes a 3300lb (w/driver) 4-speed (stock toploader) 66 mustang to a best of 10.63 @ 129.3 in the 1/4. In the 1/8 it's run 7.48 (no bottle) and 6.74 with it. The engine lasted 9 years before a little stupidity damaged a couple pistons. It was pretty much worn out (I had to up the nitrous from 150 to 200 to keep it's performance on par after a few years.
When fresh, it ran 6.74 with a 150hp boost, a few years later it ran 6.75 on 200.

No high dollar parts, just a good pump gas combo combined with some attention to detail and good machine work.

See the mustangworks website for complete details on the car if you're interested.

Good Luck!

http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/healey/367

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: n2omike on 4/5/02 8:10pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Hummm, baddest 302 on the planet, less than $5000, still streetable. I would not be able to build a naturally aspirated that would do that. It would have to be wound up too hard to run good and that would put it beyond street gear territory I think. That leaves boosted applications like blowers, turbos and NOS. I think the blower and turbo options would put the cost over $5000 so that leaves NOS. That would let you spend around $4000 on the motor and around a $1000 for a good NOS system with controller. The only problem with that would be that it would twist up the stock unibody into a pretzel, shell out the stock tranny and leave the stock rear end sitting on the ground. It would also fry any size tire you could fit under the rear end without narrowing the axle, tubbing it and probably chunking the leafs in favor of something that would hook like ladders or a 4 link with coil overs. You could build the motor but the chassis and running gear work required to make it go would put your ride up around ten grand.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
It really tough to beat nitrous for streetable, pump gas power.

Nitrous engines don't need a lot of compression ratio, so it allows you to build an engine that will run fine on pump gas... then when the time comes for racing, put race gas in the tank and turn the bottle on.

At least that is my recipe. I'm not saying my car has the baddest 302 on the planet, just that it is a simple, streetable combination that does really well for what it is. Do you homework... cross all the t's and dot all the i's.

Here are some tips in getting a nitrous system dialed in...

http://www.supermegajayman.com/car_stuff/nitrous_tuning.htm

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Ok, let's change the requirements a little. How about "the baddest streetable sub-$5000 302 buildup possible"? I think you guys were taking the "baddest 302 on the planet" a little too seriously

·
Registered
1,307 Posts

As fas a baddest 302's go, on pump gas and off the bottle with "factory iron heads", Mike's is the fastest I've personally heard of.

I've seen guys go faster on the bottle but they didn't last long on the 250hp shot.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Motorhead,

Thanks for your imput. I think that some rubberbands are wound a little too tightly and can't detect "tounge in cheek" humor.

Chico has an interesting idea with the twin turbos thing.

I did not consider Nitros.

How do you prevent detonation?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts