Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there guyz, I'd just like to know what would be the max recommended lift/duration @ .050 with a dome piston (Summit # SRP 150069) with a 2.02/1.60 cylinder head. I will be checking pvc but I just wanna have an idea how radical I can go....strip only car with c4. Custom grind not an option right now.

Thanx Rob.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Its the timing of the events (when the valves open) not the lift and duration. Their are no magical std or numbers. You will need to check pretty much any performance cam you use. As for the custom grinds not being an option I think you need to rethink that and look into it, Comp Cams, D&D, Ect. You can find alot ot HP for very little investment over an on the shelf grind.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dfree383 on 6/1/06 2:25am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I'm not a fan of custom cams...with all the many, many, many different cam grinds already out there, there is no reason why you can't find a profile to meet your needs. It will just take a little research.

·
Registered
228 Posts
A lot of shelf cams go back to the seventies, long before sophisticated desktop computer modeling was available. While some still perform well, so much has changed in cylinder head and intake technology, a lot of them leave power on the table. If you compare specs from now with then, you find that heads can take more lift, much more carefully calculated LSA, better ramp speeds, etc. Grinding one for your combo lets you optimize.

To your original request, you have no way of knowing without physically checking your pistons, and under no circumstance, should you attempt to start it without measuring clearance. It's very easily done with plasticine clay, a razor knife and a good steel rule.

I won't propose a clearance, because every engine will treat it differently; forgings grow a lot more than cast, etc. So, call or email your piston manufacturer to see what they suggest before you spend a lot of cash on the cam and valvetrain. And prepare to spend some extra to make sure you are on the good side of the recommended clearance.

Good luck!

·
Registered
501 Posts
On 2006-05-31 10:40, ROBBDATHROB wrote:
Hi there guyz, I'd just like to know what would be the max recommended lift/duration @ .050 with a dome piston (Summit # SRP 150069) with a 2.02/1.60 cylinder head. I will be checking pvc but I just wanna have an idea how radical I can go....strip only car with c4. Custom grind not an option right now.

Thanx Rob.
Every one is right on about checking. But I can give you what I had for a cam when I was running those same pistons. This was in a late model 302 block and the pistons were .005 down in the hole. I had AFR 185's on the engine and the cam was a 306 adv. dur. and 264 dur @ .050 with a 106 lobe center and .575 lift. I had the cam installed 4* advanced and I was at the bare minimun on piston to valve clearance. The problem is not really the size of the valve but the size of the dome. When I checked it with a .600+ lift cam the valve would almost contact the piston flat against the dome.
A custom grind cam will only cost about $20 more than and off the shelf cam. Mine was a custom grind fron Clay Smith Cams and the car ran a best of 11.07 1/4 and a best mph of 121.50.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx again guyz...I guess I'll have to go with the custom grind seeing that that the price difference is just marginal my only problem is that I'm out of the country for the next 6 months and I don,t know the true specs of my motor (bought as longblock) and have no way of having someone strip down and mic up for me, I just know it has domes coz we done head gaskets on it a while back. I"ve viewed a few camshaft buildsheets and from where I am (Saudi Arabia) and where my car is (South Africa) I just don"t have all that tech info on hand thats needed by the grinders and I was kinda hoping to take advantage of the exchange rate here instead of having to go back home and pay treble if not more.....what to do..what to do???????

1 - 7 of 7 Posts