Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 62 gal has a 352 that is bone stock. All new tune up parts and a rebuilt carb. It really runs pretty strong except I have what I think is some lifter noise. It seems odd tho that the noise (a repeated ticking that matches the engines revs) is very quiet at start up and gets louder when the engine is warmed up? Is it because of the oil viscosity getting thinner as the engine warms allowing the noise to be heard more?

And how do I remedy the lifter noise?

Also I think I have a small intake gasket leak. After the car is warm (only when warm) I see small puffs of smoke coming from the intake right by the water pump. But I don't seem to have the poor running problems most associate with an intake leak? It idles fine, doesn't stumble or cough at all and I don't notice any vacuum related issues? Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'm sure you'll get a better reply than this but I think the smoke you are seeing could be a coolant leak from the bypass hose or metal nipple it connects to. Sure it is smoke or is it steam?
As far as lifters clicking. If a flush and fill with clean oil and some STP or the like doesn't solve it, might be time to replace them.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Those ticks are funny things. Old story, BE CAREFUL OF THE FAN and use a long screwdriver, handle to your ear and touch areas of your block to identify where it is coming from. I bought a cheap automotive stethoscope to listen for things. Could be lifter, could be fuel pump, could be exhaust leak, could be a spark plug wire not seated that is arcing to the plug, could be something up top in the valve train (I had a couple broken springs along the shafts and a broken pushrod end creating all sorts of strange noises!). I assume you've got good, clean oil in it too.

I think Shotrod (?) had a idea for being able to fish out lifters without taking off the manifold. There are a lot of strong magnetic tools that may be able to pull the beggers out. I think they should clear the manifold holes.

Keep us posted.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gordo on 9/4/06 12:42am ]</font>

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the noise is a lifter or push rod chattering. It is definitely the top of the valve train under the valve cover where I hear it. Is it possible on of the hydraulic lifters isn't seated right on the pusy rod?

As for the steam/smoke issue, it could well be steam as it only appears when the engine is warmed up. It is right at the seal of the water pump and block, right below the intake manifold. I'll have to check further.

Thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sometimes when FEs sit for a while, lifters will make a noiser for a while but go away after a couple hundred miles-my 390 did it once-also I had AN ENGINE DO THAT WITH 20W-50 OIL-PUT 10-30 BACK IN IT AND CLEARED RIGHT UP. GOOD LUCK

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
If you decide to add something to the oil to use as a cleaner (and be sure to change the oil again in a week or so) I'd recommend Marvel Mystery Oil. Great stuff.

Deb

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked again and the smoke seems to be from the timing chain cover...hmmm that would explain why there is no vacuum leak or problems associated with an intake manifold gasket leak. But what do I do about the timing chain cover?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Well isn't that crankcase venting? Don't know about the '62, but there should be some venting (pre PCV days) that may be plugged. Does it vent out the oil filler tube if you take the cap off?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, the '62 has a road draft tube that comes off the back of the engine. It is definitely venting but it could also be partly clogged and venting in unauthorized areas? I like the idea that what it's doing is normal and needs no further attention.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
To find out which Hyd. lifter is making noise is old problem. Simpliest trick is to warm up engine. Stop it remove appropriate valve cover. Start up, but let idle only. Then as rockers are rotating, just push down very hard at end with pushrod. The engine will stumble a bit but ought to go right back to where it was within 15 seconds. If this shuts up a lifter, or it don't recover too quickly, then that is the problem one. May be two also.

Stop engine, remove shaft, and with long magnetic and mechanical fingers remove the lifter. Snap off upper ring, clean and reinstall. May or may not be quieter.

Considering the blow by as described, your engine may be tired too.

It ain't easy, quick nor clean.

Wm.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
To help get the lifter back in since they have a tendency to dangle on the end of those magnets is to tape a strong peice of wire, metal edge off a kids wooden ruler or a fake flower stem, bend it in half and tape it to the magnet so that 2 prongs stick out about an inch beyond the magnet. This keeps the lifter lifted to get it in the hole a LOT easier.
Popsicle sticks don't work well.

Deb

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I use two styles of mechanical fingers. Use the magnet style first for sucking the lifter out of the hole. Then wiggle it, and allow it to set on top of engine block, cocked to one side. Sometimes the lifter gets a bit of oil deposits built up in lower end. You may have to then work the thing up and down in the hole a dozen times for them to break loose and allow it to slip out.

Then, get out the mechanical finger of the style with the four flat wire prongs. They usually expand enough to go all the way around one of the circular ends of the lifter. If the lifter is sitting at an angle, grab the lifter at the top, from the clip. Then wrangle it over to a place in manifold where you can lift it completely out and work on it.

The proceedure is somewhat shown in the official manual, but they are only using a magnet. I found the proceedure described differently in another manual like a Motor's or Hayes.

Wm.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Let us know what you find.....

Smoke coming out of the timing cover is not a super nice thing....

FE

·
Registered
174 Posts
Are you sure the smoke is not coming out of of the oil filler cap? That's where my 62 vents some of it's smoke. I believe mine is from blow by on the pistons.

Bobg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts