Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife took the Lightning to the a dynojet yesterday. She got some impressive yet hard to believe numbers. A stock lightning should dyno around 330HP and 425tq stock. The lightning has a steigmyer ported eaton, JLT cold air, LFP valve body, C&L elbow and plenum, and a 4lb blower pulley for a total of 12-14lbs of boost.
1st Pull-421hp and 593tq
2nd pull- 467hp and 644tq???
3rd pull- 442hp and 622tq

HP numbers seem about right for the modifications. Torque seems a bit high. It was 91 degrees and 8% humidty, but it was cloudy as heck in the pictures so I doubt it was 8%. Probably closer to 15-20%. Altitude is 4000ft. I will post the dyno sheets when I get them put up on my website. AF ratio was 10.6-11.2 on all three runs.

1969 Mustang Mach 1 4spd 351W, (temp)302
1997 Cobra RIP 4V Motor
1970 Dodge Charger R/T 440+6 4spd
2002 SVT Lightning, K&N, Trac bars, 555Rs

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 19mach69 on 10/8/06 12:00pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Heres the video done by a friend.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Excellent HP numbers! It's not uncommon for auto-trans vehicles to show the abnormally high torque spikes on a DynoJet as the converter slips. If you have a MustangDyne dyno or a Dynapak (both load bearing) you might be able to get a accurate torque reading. I'm sure it's in the 500's anyhow.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, didnt even think about converter slippage! Ill check into that! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
It's torque mult by the convertor -- don't think for a minute the engine produces that. But...the TC does in fact multiply until it couples -- then you get the curve you see. A tight converter won't do that.

Anyway, the peak HP is incredible.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I wouldn't expect a stock converter to be doing any multiplication at 4000rpm, at least nothing significant. What's with the weird 200rpm wide 'bump' in the otherwise smooth curve? I don't have much dyno experience personally, but I haven't seen any narrow little bumps like that before on any other dyno sheets.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
On 2006-10-08 22:41, Motorhead wrote:
I wouldn't expect a stock converter to be doing any multiplication at 4000rpm, at least nothing significant. What's with the weird 200rpm wide 'bump' in the otherwise smooth curve? I don't have much dyno experience personally, but I haven't seen any narrow little bumps like that before on any other dyno sheets.
On the dynojet you see that 'flare' all the time on loose converters.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With the converter causing the spike, it reads 600+ on the torque. You have to scroll down the graph to see the real torque reading which was about 520-530. The truck is getting a 6lb lower and a new tune to go along with it today, then its going back on the dyno. The one problem is the throttle body is a big bottle neck now. My wife was able to improve .4 last weekend swapping on someone else's thorottle body. Just more reinforcement that building power is a package.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
They do mathematically but if you look the plotted HP and TQ on the left and right and changed the scale totally for each one. They both have to be the same scale to 'see' what you're talking about.
Sigh...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts