Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought some gt-40p heads and a cam for my Maverick. Via a virtual dyno, I ought to have 310 hp, which I'm not expecting, but I'm concerned that it might be too much power. The 302 is a '79 motor with a litlle under 80,000. I know it is a litlle tired because the oil pressure get's a lower than normal, but not bad. Originally, the motor had [email protected] and 232ft./[email protected] My concern is that my new found power might bring a quick end to the motor, but I'd liek other oppinions. I'm sure I should keep the rpm's low, but other than that I don't have much of a plan.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
As with any performance modifications, increasing horsepower can and will reduce life expectancy, and cause you to find the "weak spot" in the motor you have. The good news is that 302's are extremely tough. I wouldn't worry about it, unless it's knocking or something bad like that.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Change the Timing chain to and early (non-retarded) style. For my money I 'd bolt on a double roller, the stock timing chains are sorry pieces, part plastic, prone to fail. If you can, put new rod and main bearings in and the oil pressure will be back up there and drive it like you stole it! NOT TO Worry!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts