Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know the name of the platform they use for these special vehicles.....anyone? These special extended frames have a name.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Well uhh Limo's get streched at various companies not by ford at all, and as far as ambulances they are vans/trucks that are converted I dont belive any frame work is done on them.

·
Registered
129 Posts
For ambulances, Class C motorhomes and delivery trucks I believe the Ford F-350, F-450 are called chassis/cab when they are ordered. Is that what your fishing for?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am actually asking for an older gentleman who doesn't really know what he is asking for and doesn't know how to navigate the internet to find out. I just thought there was a name for that platform.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Cadillac was probably the most popular car for limos and ambulances.

Cadillac built what was referred to as a "Commercial Chassis".

This was an extended wheelbase chassis cab type set up. The "cab" was a 4 door Caddy cut off right behind the front doors on many of the units.

Some cars maintained the original sheet metal including quarter panels but had custom "filler Panels" in the center of the car.

Very long wheelbase with heavy duty leaf springs out back.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cookie on 11/10/06 8:15am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Cookie, believe it or not that was the "magic bullet" that he needed and man was he happy. We searched and got all sorts of info from that, when it wouldn't return anything usefull when the word "limosine" was put in the search engine. Good Job! I guess making these chassis for profit is kind of a well guarded craft.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts