Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 460 out of a 68 lincoln and the direct drive powersteering pump has to go its no use to me. My question is the timing cover and dampener different for set and will a standard cover and dampener work to eliminate this hp robber????

·
Registered
81 Posts
I thought I heard that when using an old big block one should always replace the timing chain too as the old ones were offset for smog controll. Any truth to this?

·
Registered
45 Posts
yes, the "smog era" timing chains are the retarded ones. I don't believe you're 68 is. A nice new roller chain you can install straight up is only like 40 bucks from summit, and it's insurance against a time consuming repair later.

·
Registered
242 Posts
the "retarded timing chains" didnt come till 72 however you probably have the good old nylon gears so I would replace it, just make sure you get the early timing set

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I'm going to replace the timing chain and the oil pump since I've got the motor out and on the stand. I'm going to check the bearings while I'm in there but the motor is basicaly only going to be used to covert my 66 f100 from a I6 to a V8 only have to run for a little while. I going to be looking for another block to build and when it goes in the 68 block will be torn down and built for a spare!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts