Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up a '77 Lincoln with a 460, c6, 9" and disk brakes (for only $450) to swap into my '66 Gal. As I'm starting to tear this thing apart I'm wondering what all I should keep before I scrap it. I'll be keeping the radiator, trans cooler, front brake setup, master cylinder, motor, trans, drive shaft, rear end, and wheels. Should I keep the front springs anything else? What are you experiences? Pitfalls I should look out for? I'll be starting a build thread after I get the Lincoln torn apart and shipped out.

·
Registered
94 Posts
- accelerator pedal and cable
- big 'o slab of aluminum behind the front bumper and in the dash
- catalytic converters
- cross member
- steering column
- proportioning valve
- module and harness
- speedo cable with the cruise control pickup, cruise wires, cruise module
- hydraulic brake booster

- rear housing is pretty wide for anything but maybe a pickup
- wheel bolt circle is larger than typical 4 1/2"...I think 5"...12" rotors!!

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Sometimes it's not possible, but whenever you can, keep the donor car until the project is done or nearly so. Little things free off the donor can add-up very quickly when you find you could have used them. Did you remember the parking brake cable brackets? Or the brake Tee block? What about the throttle cable end or fuel line connector? That sort of thing.

David

·
Registered
718 Posts
Transmission cross member. Lincoln transmissions have a weird tailshaft housing. Probably going to get creative with that part. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sometimes it's not possible, but whenever you can, keep the donor car until the project is done or nearly so.
I wish I had the space to keep the car around but I'm very crunched for space as it is, been a pain keeping it for the 2 weeks I've had it thus far!

The brake hardware (portioning valve, and e-brake stuff) was already planned but I wouldn't have thought of the accelerator pedal or the cruise stuff but why the aluminum? Simply because it could be useful and has value or is it something that I'll need?

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Don't forget the motor stands on the frame. I believe you will need those to put the 460 in your car.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
If you will do a search on 460 swaps you will find many post on this subject. I did it on my 67 and it was pretty easy. I modified the 390 mounts to work, used my existing cross memeber, drive shaft, accelerator linkage/cable and C6 shift linkage. If you have the C6 with hangers instead of a mounting foot the tail shaft from a FE C6 will interchange with the 460 housing. Lincoln rear end will not work other than the pumpkin will interchange. The 460 is 2" longer than an FE so you may have to put an electric fan in and I change my radiator to an aluminum one.

Good luck.

Reactions: jhayes91

·
Registered
287 Posts
I used a 77 Lincoln for my repowered 63 Galaxie. The only thing I changed on the engine transmission setup was the engine mounts and the short output shaft and short tail housing on the transmission. Of course I rebuilt both with a few modifications. Other than that, no problems. I found a later model gas pedal and modified a transmission linkage setup. Had a drive shaft built and changed the yoke on the rear.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Did you use the rear end? I wonder if it would work for a 70 gal

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
The 70's have a three link rear, while the 77 Lincoln had a four link (I think).

You could save the gas tank. That may fit an earlier model with an upright tank.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you use the rear end? I wonder if it would work for a 70 gal

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Oddly enough I still have that rear end taking up space in my garage. I'm trying to sell it on craigslist but not many bites thus far. Seems it is too wide for most applications.

I never ended up swapping the 460 into the Gal, decided to stick with a small block, and got more for the motor/trans than I paid for the whole car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts