Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the electric fan from a Lincoln Mark 8 work well in a 70 Mustang? The tech article has me thinking, I have located a donor car that I can get the fan and alternator out of.

Thanks,
Barry

·
Registered
712 Posts
Mine keeps my '73 Montego cool, with a mild build 357C. Also, mine has a small grille opening, and it still keeps it cool.
The alt. is also a great swap. I used 4 gauge wire to the starter solenoid, with 2-6" pieces of 12 gauge fusible link wire.
Chris

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chris,

I went ahead and bought it. Just holding it up to my radiator it looks like it will fit perfect. I did get the alternator as well. I'm not sure what kind of issues I am going to run into to swap it from serpentine to V drive pulleys.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I couldn't fit one on my 70, but I have an aftermarket aluminum radiator that is thicker than the factory 3 row, so if your test fit looks good you should be fine.

You will not believe the air it pulls, it's hardcore!

I put a 3.8 Taurus fan on mine and I had to trim that down to make it fit, but man does it pull the air!

Alternator upgrade is a must. When the fan kicks on I can feel the drag on the engine (feels like the a/c is on almost) it takes so much juice to run it.

Oh, on the pulley, if I remember correctly I had to take my v-belt pulley and grind the nose off of it or something to allow me to put a washer in between the new alt and the pulley, otherwise it rubbed on the face of the alternator. The reason for grinding the front nose of the pulley was after putting the spacer (washer) in between the alt and pulley, there was not enough thread there to tighten down the bolt.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I used a double pulley as per a website I found, I would give you the link but my comp. crashed and I had to erase everything. I'll see if I can find it for you.
The alternators are insane, before with my A/C, highbeams, etc. my old one charged 12.8V, now with everything on, it charges 14.35V.
I used 2 (two) 6" pieces of 12ga fusible link wire, the way I worded it above doesn't look right.
Good Luck, Chris.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you could find that link, it would be great! I'm looking forward to making this mod, freeing up more hp is a good thing!

Barry

·
Registered
712 Posts
Try this link:
http://tinyurl.com/l2vsb
I remembered I used it on another post.
In order to use the bolt hole on the bottom of the new one, you may have to put a Heli-coil in it(no big deal). I had the small alternator from the factory, so a 130A alt from a '95 Cobra 5.0 bolted right up. If you haven't already, run it into AutoZone and have the alt. checked to make sure it is up to par. On the fusible link wire, I ran all over town trying to find it, NAPA has it they may have to order it, but they should have it within the day. And it was less than $4 for a whole roll, much cheaper than the mega fuses and holders. If Ford has done it that way for years, it must work. It is getting close to a year now that I have had it on, and I have had no problems (it even makes the headlights WAY brighter)
Chris.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a lot for taking the time to look that up for me, it is greatly apprecaiated
I cleaned the fan and the alternator up last night. The alternator looks like it may be a challenge to make it work, but I'm up to the challenge.

Thanks Again,
Barry

·
Registered
712 Posts
It is really simple when you get the factory junk out of the way. You may have to change the bottom support depending on what size the alt.s are. Mine fits as though it was made to go there, I got my pulley from a '80-something Crown Vic, it is a double groove pulley.
Good luck, Chris.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Hey, if that alt has the modular engine mounting, it will be a royal PITA to mount. Best bet would be to get one from a Taurus, Mustang, etc. with the 180 deg. mounting holes, unless you are really good at fabricating and whatnot.
Chris

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quick question for you guys that have done this.. this seems like a stupid question but are you guys using 2 belts on that double pulley? I am using just 1 and it squeals when the fan is on and I accelerate from a stop. I don't think I have any more free grooves on my lower pulley to run the dual belts if that's the case (my car has a/c and power steering. I know it is not in perfect alignment either, but it's pretty close, and it sure likes to squeal.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Mine lines up perfectly, and does not squeal a bit.
I am running a single Gatorbelt belt to the alt. on the double pulley on my '95 Cobra alt.
Try using some scotchbrite or sand paper on the pulley to rough it up and remove the glaze. also, try to get it to line up better.
Mine did squeal when I first put my Mark 8 fan on, then I used some scotchbrite on the pulley groove and retightened the belt and have had no problems since
Good Luck, Chris.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks Chris, I'll give all your tips a try... I suspect the alignment issue is going to be key, and I'll rough up the pulley and throw a new belt on there as well. Hopefully after all that it will shut the hell up! Sure is embarassing having people say "nice car" and then you pull away and it sounds like a POS haha

·
Registered
712 Posts
The sound of a fat cam and a belt squeal don't go together.
Chris

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Chris, I just took a good look at the alternator, it isn't anything like the stock alternator that is on the car. I'm not saying it won't work, just saying it sure is a lot different. The distance between the bolt holes is a lot different, the stock holes are about 7 inches apart, the alternator off the Mark 8 are like maybe 5. Also, there are 3 wires coming out of the Mark 8, yellow, black, and green. Do you know where the wires go? The alternator is actually a Napa reman, 12V 120 amp.

Barry

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Never mind Chris, I see where the wires go on the link you sent.

Thanks,
Barry

·
Registered
712 Posts
Barryt1, I think that alt WILL be a royal PITA to mount, I just looked at one, props if you can though. The wiring is so simple, it's stupid. However, it will be the mounting that will be frustrating, that's why I got the 302 '95 Cobra alt., it is still 130A but shares the small Ford alt mounting pattern.
Good luck, Chris.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 65 coup with awarmed up 289. I like the idea of an electric fan but the one out of the Lincoln Mark VIII looks to be like significant over kill for my application. Does anyone know of one that would be of a more appropriate size for the 289?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts