Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1964 t bird that I was thinking about racing. Does anybody know why this car is so heavy and what I can do about? It's got disc brakes up front but any rear suspension ideas would be appreciated also. I'm completely new to all this so be nice lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
My question is WHY!!!!
the car wieghs in about 5K Lbs + -
street brakes are not for racing, any kind
also you'd be hard pressed to get bigger wheels\tires under the car
In 66 you either had a 390 or a 428 although good engines they would need a lot of work
to get max HP out of them... they are FE engines, and a build is a little more expensive
then you might think.
Not trying to sound negative, just giving you a heads up..
on the other hand, if you must use that car to go racing
I'd drop the engine and trans and get a 385 with a tremic 5 spd
drop the rear axle and install an axle out of a late 70's Lincoln or Granada
with upper and lower control arms and disc breaks...this would require some fabrication
Best of Luck

·
Registered
976 Posts
A new Dodge Challenger is about 4700lbs and what Dodge did was make power to push the pig down the track.
My point is you need big power and big money and anything can be fast.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
This is a unibody car designed before computer analysis, so cheaper to build it heavy then light. My '64 came with no options and it still weighs 4400#.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am going to build a 460 stroker for it and add some turbos. Strip weight where i can and go from there. I've always wanted a t bird and a race car so that's the only reason why this car.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
There's not a lot of room in the engine bay due to the huge spring towers. If you put in a subframe you could probably cut them out. Also convert to rack and pinion steering to free up real estate now taken up by the steering box. My original FE engine barely fits, and the shorty headers had to be tweaked to get them to fit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How does a crown vic swap work? Is there welding involved?lol or do they make a kit? I want a different steering column also is this part of the swap? Thank you everyone for your advice!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
If you start making major changes to the drive train, you'll be in some "modified production" class.

I wouldn't count on winning.

But, if you still intend to go forward, don't forget a rear end ratio change. You could change the rear and still stay in a pure stock class.

In 1969, when I raced my 68 Cyclone GT with a 302/4v/3:50 rear, a motor that the Torino didn't offer while the Mustang did, they stuck me in a modified production class. They said that Ford specs didn't show a 302/4v in a Montego/Cyclone. (Ford probably just gave them Torino specs for the Mercury.)

I didn't have a chance in hell.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've been searching and can't find anyone who has done a cv swap on a 64 t bird. I've found plenty of f-100s and am curious if the process is the same.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts