Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was probably one of my first post when I bought my 61 over a year ago. Unfortunately I received no answers, so I will try again. My shifter, particularly in 3rd, is so low I can barely get in my car. I'm over 6'2". I have had shorter friends drive it and they have no problenms but I have to keep my leg out to the side slightly or else it s hard to bring the shifter all the way down. It is approx. 7" from the seat with the seat all the way back.
Is this correct? Were people that much smaller 50 years ago? Can it be adjusted, if so, how?
I'll try to post some picts.
Thanks again,
Karl.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
yes you can adjust it . the 2-3 link at the firewall can be changed to put it where you want it
Both positions are low. Either adjustment as mentioned or look for worn column parts.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't looked at it yet, but you said to twist the coulmn, are you saying that I twist the column jacket? I'm hoping it will make sence when i look at it. Are all of these adjustments made from above or am I at the trans linkage also? IF I make these adjustments, will or can it affect the shifting as far as I might have difficulty finding gears? Sorry, as is, it shifts nice and tight so I'm concerned that if I start touching things and I can mess up the adjustments. There's obviously more going on here as compared to on the floor.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
I haven't looked at it yet, but you said to twist the coulmn, are you saying that I twist the column jacket? I'm hoping it will make sence when i look at it. Are all of these adjustments made from above or am I at the trans linkage also? IF I make these adjustments, will or can it affect the shifting as far as I might have difficulty finding gears? Sorry, as is, it shifts nice and tight so I'm concerned that if I start touching things and I can mess up the adjustments. There's obviously more going on here as compared to on the floor.
Hey Mr. CTS,
It may be that the Rubber Fittings at the top of the Shift Rods going to the Transmission are shot causing a lot of "slop" in the connection. They are replaceable. Greg Donahue has kits of parts from which to make the replacements.

The way that the two Levers (First&Reverse, & Second&Third) are supposed to be adjusted is that there is a 3/16" hole in each Lever.

With the Levers in Neutral, loosen the two Gearshift Rod Adjustment Nuts.

Insert a 3/16" Rod or Pin (a 3/16" Drill Bit will do nicely) through the 3/16" hole in the Second&Third Lever and then into the 3/16" hole in the First&Reverse Lever. This will lock the Levers together in the proper relationship to each other.

It may be necessary to align the two Levers in order to insert the 3/16" rod.

Once they are locked together by the 3/16" Rod, merely tighten the two Gearshift Rod Adjustment Nuts.

Then remove the 3/16" Rod.

Start the Engine, and shift the Gear Shift Lever to each position to see that it operates freely.

That's it!

HTH

JC

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Not the column jacket, like on my 3 speed column it's clocked for the turn signal switch and notched at the dash retainer bracket, you can go DOWN and UP with the column but not left nor right.

I meant to twist the collar to the left.

Now that I think of it, you might not get any results that way.... Damn, It's been 5 years since I had my column apart and now I forgot! :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts