1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only $250 bucks!
New Tires, Etc Etc... 2300 needs a head... C-4

4 lug too...

What was that arguement I made a few weeks back about these mid 70's mustangs with 5 lug rear ends... I never seen it but everyone said they all had them or something like that, well I got another 4 lugger for cryin' out loud...

·
Registered
86 Posts
No Mustang II ever came from the factory with 5 bolt hubs. Period.

Tim

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cobraii351 on 2/12/07 7:37pm ]</font>

·
Registered
203 Posts
$250 !!!!! wish I could find one that cheap! looks great too!
As for the 5-lug debate, There never was a factory 5-lug Mustang II EVERY ONE had 4 lug wheels.
So what you gonna do with it then?

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gonna let my boy drive it... He's 17 now and needs one but I gotta get 3 more jobs in order to pay for his insurance of $1,200 bucks every week or two... something outrageous like that

What I was referring to was an arguement about a mustang with 5 lug axles and a V-8 but it came from the factory with 4 lug axles.... the guy said he converted teh axles... I never saw a V-8 on a 4 lug chassis ever and I've owned an 85 mustang Ghia 5 lug V-8 and now a 74 4 lug 4 cyl....
Anyway, it all boiled down to the fact that I didn't think for ever put a 4 lug chassis under a V-8 I think it's stupid, but apparently they did I just have never seen proof.... Or I have never paid attention to my customers vehicles I've worked on....

FE

·
Registered
38 Posts
i've owned two m2's with factory v8s and yessir-four luggers. baffling though it may be, it is still the most exciting pony i've driven. that ghia had a sunroof! plug in a sabbath 8 track-what a blast!

·
Registered
2 Posts
64-73 All v-8 stangs had 5 lug. Inline 6 cars had 4 lug. All mustang II's had 4 lug as was mentioned b4. 79-93 fox bodies all had 4 lug whether it was 4, 6, or 8 cyl....except for the SVO mustangs. The svo's all had 5 lug even though they were 4 cyl. All 94-current stangs are 5 lug.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My car has about 300HP and an extra 100HP of nitrous. I have a stock (1974) 8" Ford in my Mustang II with 3.55 gears. The rear end was rebuilt and a stock car mini spool was added. I had a local machine shop change the 4 on 4 1/4" bolt patern to 5 on 4 1/2". My drums were brand new so I had them re-drilled also. From what I gather you can use early Ford Ranger drums too. My car is driven a few times a week on the street, it gets beaten on regularly and I have had no problems. Joe Morgans Turbo Pinto went into the 10's with a stock 28 spline 8". The only 8" Ford failures I have heard about used standard transmissions. Light cars with 8" rer ends and automatics (like mine) seem to hold togeather fine.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s309/IMACHU2/43.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s309/IMACHU2/axleface.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s309/IMACHU2/MustangBrakeDrum.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s309/IMACHU2/axlesanddrums.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s309/IMACHU2/axle.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s309/IMACHU2/re-drilledbrakedrum.jpg

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Gary you are confusing the early (65-70)stangs with the mustang IIs..As everyone has stated the mustang IIs had 4 lugs no matter what engine they had V-8 or not.....As for performance the mustang II V-8 cars where pretty comparable to the older 2V small block cars ..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Info for four bolters: Early 6 cyl Mustangs have 4 on 4 1/2" bolt paterns and 74 to 93 have
4 on 4 1/4" bolt patern (accept the 83-86 SVO and the 93 Cobra that were five bolt 5 on 4 1/2").

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Gonna let my boy drive it... He's 17 now and needs one but I gotta get 3 more jobs in order to pay for his insurance of $1,200 bucks every week or two... something outrageous like that

What I was referring to was an arguement about a mustang with 5 lug axles and a V-8 but it came from the factory with 4 lug axles.... the guy said he converted teh axles... I never saw a V-8 on a 4 lug chassis ever and I've owned an 85 mustang Ghia 5 lug V-8 and now a 74 4 lug 4 cyl....
Anyway, it all boiled down to the fact that I didn't think for ever put a 4 lug chassis under a V-8 I think it's stupid, but apparently they did I just have never seen proof.... Or I have never paid attention to my customers vehicles I've worked on....

FE
even the Early Fox-body mustangs, 79 - 84 had 4-lug wheels, V-8's even 5 speed T-5 from 83 on up. Some, bed wetting, propeller hat wearing, pencil sharpener probably got a raise for saving "Hank II" 0.10 cents per car, by using the same axles, brakes for V-8, in-line 4's. Course they kept the horsepower down, so it seemed like a good idea at the time - 'course they forgot about how torquey a V-8 could be...but just the same money saved is money earned - hey, it all adds up!

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have since corrected my thoughts on this and realised that most of the car's I worked on had hub caps...
Most hub caps ot the walmart variety had 5 lug nut imprints no matter what the wheel size under the cap...

Plus I wasn't a tire boy so I never paid attention....

My aoplogies for my ignorance... I sold the damn car because my boy never took to getting his license...

·
Registered
270 Posts
The one thing ford did right was they used atleast a 1/2 inch stud, unlike GM. Oh and BTW. I've ran mid 6.70s in the 1/8th on a stock MII 8 inch 4lug axle. 1.47 60ft time. I'd do it over and over, on test n tune night, pretty much hot lap the car all night long. No twisting at all, but I've since upgraded to 5lug, mostly to have a wider selection of rims.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There were two different diameter lug nut studs on mustang II's (kind of like the sway bars). I had a broken stud on my II and when I pulled one off another II for replacement, I discovered that there were (at least by that account) two different sizes. The other thing about II's is that they all had 9" rotors. No different sizes for different power train options.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts