Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am looking at possiably picking up a pair of 1967 500 2dr fb. I have yet to look at them but they look like a good base to start my own gal the way I want it. (the 66 xl vert is way to nice and original to hot rod) So what should I be looking for or be aware of with this year galaxie. I know the frame rot issues all to well with the 65s up. What should I look at for the body ( such as bad bondo, accidents, and the evidence beating the snot out of it or drag racing) and anything that would make you say "I'll give you $100 more than you will get from the scrap yard for it" Basically it boils down to what you tell someone completely new to buying an old car to be very well aware of and what is a complete basket case to walk away from.

If i pull the trigger on them, I am thinking maybe...oh I don't know...a 460 under the hood. :D

As always, Thanks for info.

Coal

·
Registered
371 Posts
Rust.

The most important thing to note about the 67 is that it is a one-off body. The hood, trunklid, fenders, doors are not common to any other year. So look for rust in the body (and bondo, obviously).

On a side note, I need a hood with no rust holes in it. Let me know if you'd like to part with one, presuming you buy the cars.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Rust.

The most important thing to note about the 67 is that it is a one-off body.

VERY TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thats the only serious issue with the 67's.

67's look awsome!! i own a 67-2 door ltd and a 67-4 door galaxie500. almost bought a 66-2door but instead bought a cool falcon.

the 67's your looking at:
what engines are already in them?!
any mods?!
check wiring!! many people mess it up by modding it with some whatever the hell gizmo.

good luck and let us know what happens.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I like to see people restore the 67 year to stock looks since its a one off year but that's my tastes.

Anyway, if you are hot roding it i guess stuff like interior etc are not an issue so as mentioned look for frame rust, although you could find a donor frame 65~68 I believe. This year was extremely bad for rusting around the rear wheel well area and they don't make "proper" replacement panels so unless you want to do a whole lot of metal work make sure they are reasonably solid in that area and the doors and rocker panels.

Wiring is a bit specific to 67 under dash but if you plan on doing a 460 swap anyway and custom dash or something just buy a painless universal wiring kit and go from there.

Remember trim pieces inside and out are getting very rare for 67 so if you don't plan on using external chrome pieces or something on the interior please do us other 67 owners a favor and save the pieces to sell to use poor saps and don't drill or cut the crap out of them, lol. :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So it seems that rust is the main issue with the 67.

Also when I say hot rod...I guess I mean putting in a 460 and upgrading what I need to improve handling. I only want to do a 460 because neither have a working engine and I can get a 460 at a junkyard for much less than I can rebuild the 390 that is all apart. I would like to make it a nice cruse car, but I have a vert and like the lines of the fastback.

Yes, I was planning on keeping what I need form and selling off the parts I do not need to those who do. But i have nothing yet, and may not get either. But if I do I will let you all know.

Now if you will excuse me I have a physics test I should study for.

Coal

1 - 5 of 5 Posts