Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
21,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know how many on here anymore are local to the Tacoma area but worth a shot!!
I have checked all the usual known good builders and found nothing. Out of stock.... Only place that has any is autozone and I'm not to keen on getting one from them.

Checked the junkyards by me and they even sold the '64 I got parts from and was told they wouldn't sell the entire car. Hoping it went to a good home though. I have one other place to call tomorrow.

I have a 360 that of course can be converted but if I'm going to go 390 I want it to start as a 390, if that makes sense to anyone.

Any idea of somewhere I haven't looked possibly? There are some on ebay but when I check reviews they aren't so great even though their feedback says they are excellent. Under company/seller name search, not so much.

I was told their hard to find but I had no idea it would be this difficult! I have one other old hotrodder that's checking with a friend to see if he has any left or not. Keeping fingers crossed!

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
These ones on ebay don't seem bad (expensive for a short block, but they seem like a reputable shop). Might be worth a drive down from Tacoma.

Or, as you noted, you're looking at a crate engine/long block. I'm sure you've seen the builders out there, and some have great reps, but it's also the same "mystery" of what you're getting.

Maybe worth a phone call or a trip down to that fella in Cali to see what he's got?

@cuthrell , you know of 390s on the East Coast? :unsure:

·
Subscriber
848 Posts
after rolling through my mental inventory, i think the two blocks in my garage are both 352.

my only experience with a crate engine - a buddy bought a 351w from Phoenix Engines.
paid 5k, not terrible.
the intake manifold was a no-name Chinese knock-off. the holes were so misaligned that it was causing a massive coolant leak.
other than that...ran well.

·
Administrator
21,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The ones i checked out on ebay had great feedback but when i did a search of the seller names it wasn't so great. Seems nobody has them! Asked my nephew in eugene also! I need to ask the galaxie club in portland if one of the members have one, forgot about those guys.

cuthrell, it's always that way! Everything we want is on another planet!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
The ones i checked out on ebay had great feedback but when i did a search of the seller names it wasn't so great. Seems nobody has them! Asked my nephew in eugene also! I need to ask the galaxie club in portland if one of the members have one, forgot about those guys.

cuthrell, it's always that way! Everything we want is on another planet!
Hello ShotRod64,

Have you tried Craigslist?

I don't know how close these are to you, but

Ford Motors and Components - auto parts - by owner - vehicle...

Ford 390 Big Block Rebuilt Engine - auto parts - by owner - vehicle...

390 Heavy Duty extra webbed block - auto parts - by owner - vehicle...

Text ignored , 1965-66 ford fe 390 short block - auto parts - by...

Just thoughts...

Cheers

·
Administrator
21,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wish the one rebuilt was closer so i could get a good look at it! I'm closer to seattle, tacoma area. And have found nothing much here. I even told a friend that if i was in oregon i could find one easy probably!

Thank you!! Going to check into that rebuilt one

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm just north of Seattle. There are a couple friends that I have that might have a 390 sitting around. They don't do social media, so I'll either try to call them or visit them. I need to see if they have a better rear bumper for my 64 galaxie. Good luck.

·
Administrator
21,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd have to figure out how to get it down here also. Learning a camper shell can be a real pain. But more at the moment I don't trust it to drive it very far. Today, if it stops raining long enough I gotta see if I can get the new alternator in. Tall vehicles stink when you're short!!

Got the offer of a tbird that has been sitting 10 yrs but then I have to get rid of the it after the engine is out and they aren't very popular around here and i have no idea what it looks like!

I'm just north of Seattle. There are a couple friends that I have that might have a 390 sitting around. They don't do social media, so I'll either try to call them or visit them. I need to see if they have a better rear bumper for my 64 galaxie. Good luck.

·
Administrator
21,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A Junkyard called me back today and they have a 390 for me. Going to get it in the morning! Thanks for all the tips!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I love it when a plan comes together! Glad you have a solid lead locally

·
Administrator
21,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was beginning to wonder!! There's probably 100s of them in people's sheds and backyards! I know my dad has something sitting in front of his shop, I could only tell him it was an FE and he doesn't remember what it came out of but I do know it hasn't been sitting there that long. But it's out of a pickup as the tranny is still attached and has a big long gear shift. He has a 460 on a run stand out there also he's had for years. He is so far in the sticks in Oregon and nobody way up here in Tacoma is going to want to go that far for a 460 or I could sell it in a minute for him! Think I'm hanging onto my old one, not sure why but just never know, might need that some day! :unsure: :LOL:

·
Administrator
21,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That trip was a bust. It was a 2v. Now i could use the block etc but might as well keep looking for now. I can always go back for a block, he had more than one along with heads etc. Nice little hole in the wall yard that he said had been there since the '50s.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
That trip was a bust. It was a 2v. Now i could use the block etc but might as well keep looking for now. I can always go back for a block, he had more than one along with heads etc. Nice little hole in the wall yard that he said had been there since the '50s.
Hello ShotRod64,

I am just curious but are you looking for something really specific? If you're looking for a core to overhaul, you can put whatever pistons that are available in there. The only real difference between the Y 390 and the Z 390 is just pistons, camshaft and intake, that's it. The factory Z 390 is nothing to write home about in stock format. Plus unless you're in a bind I would rather use an aluminum intake than a boat anchor cast iron OEM one, unless you need a certain weight for the front spring height.

Just thoughts.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
It sounds like you're looking or a running, drop-in engine. If not, then you're rebuilding whatever you find, so the 2V engine shouldn't make a difference. Put your 4V manifold on the new block and get it done.

·
Administrator
21,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sunday going to look at a '63 Tbird with a 390 in it! Once i find one somewhere there will be 15 of them listed on local ad sites! Then I'll have what I am looking for if I can get her started and don't drown with 80% chance of rain that day, I'll have a tbird to dispose of! Preferbly via selling cheap as I hate to see it go to a crusher after I keep a few things. I do have a good yard it can go to in mind if it comes to that. It will sit there a long time before it has to meet that fate!

m in sec - The heads are different, smaller ports but blocks are the same, which i decided i didn't want to buy a complete engine if all I could use was the block and crank, if it was even an actual 390. Hard to tell without measuring the bore. Also on the pre-65s the exhaust manifolds on the exhaust pipe end is smaller so there's like an 1/8 inch difference in bolt pattern. Not a big deal if you want to just change the end or like I have done the last swap, used my own. Recently got new exhaust so will be reusing mine again unless I happen to find that old of a 390 and won't need to.

I'm like a squirrel sometimes and wishy washy. I should of waited on posting til I knew exactly, without a doubt what I wanted. If that ever happens with me! lol

1 - 20 of 34 Posts