Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
21,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
What numbers you looking for, I can keep my eyes open!

I'm on the hunt for a block that's correctly date coded for my current project...proving to be difficult.

·
Administrator
21,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have my 4v intake on a 2v engine now and the ports are way different in size. Couldn't see paying a lot for only a block basically. I'm being kinda picky this time round, first time that I don't need a running 390 to drop in so I have a choice. I don't need one super soon although I'd like to be done with swap etc before spring. At this rate it might take that long. lol

I tried to find the picture I took of the 2v vs 4v intakes when I did the last engine swap but had no luck finding it! Not sure if you can see in this pic, the difference or not from the print of my intake on the heads when FEandGoingBroke and installed a new intake gasket. I got told that I wasn't using chevron with techron also cause of the carbon build up.

Excuse the carbon! One of the pics is after all the mating surface was cleaned and you could really see the build up then! I lost a hard drive so the comparison of the 2 intakes are probably long gone. The red looking stuff is just my cell camera not seeing the colors right i guess as all the pics don't look like this nor did our eyes see this color. It's probably not as built up now as I've been out on the highway and giving it a bit more gas now and then compared to the time this was done. I decided it was a good thing!

Circuit component Audio equipment Gas Computer hardware Auto part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Grille Automotive lighting

It sounds like you're looking or a running, drop-in engine. If not, then you're rebuilding whatever you find, so the 2V engine shouldn't make a difference. Put your 4V manifold on the new block and get it done.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I have my 4v intake on a 2v engine now and the ports are way different in size. Couldn't see paying a lot for only a block basically. I'm being kinda picky this time round, first time that I don't need a running 390 to drop in so I have a choice. I don't need one super soon although I'd like to be done with swap etc before spring. At this rate it might take that long. lol

I tried to find the picture I took of the 2v vs 4v intakes when I did the last engine swap but had no luck finding it! Not sure if you can see in this pic, the difference or not from the print of my intake on the heads when FEandGoingBroke and installed a new intake gasket. I got told that I wasn't using chevron with techron also cause of the carbon build up.

Excuse the carbon! One of the pics is after all the mating surface was cleaned and you could really see the build up then! I lost a hard drive so the comparison of the 2 intakes are probably long gone. The red looking stuff is just my cell camera not seeing the colors right i guess as all the pics don't look like this nor did our eyes see this color. It's probably not as built up now as I've been out on the highway and giving it a bit more gas now and then compared to the time this was done. I decided it was a good thing!

View attachment 170080

View attachment 170081
Hello ShotRod64,

It looks like from your pictures, your current heads are medium riser port heads. I could only assume your 4 jet intake is low riser if there is a port mismatch. Not sure about the earlier FE port options, but by '66 both size ports were being used on passenger FE's (had a bunch) and pretty much by '68 it was all medium riser ports on passenger cars, dunno about trucks and it doesn't matter if it is a 2 jet or 4 jet intake (Y390/Z390).

The other bit of good news is your garden variety aftermarket intake are all medium riser intake ports, so that's the port size that gives you the best options.

The head casting number of the FE's will give you the port size when looked up. So if you find another 390, just make sure it has the same port size as your heads (medium riser) and just buy an aftermarket 4 jet intake. That would be my suggestion for you lending the best options.

It looks like Summit still has some Edelbrock RPM manifolds still in stock.

Cheers

·
Registered
115 Posts
cant speak to your year, but my 2v stock heads were the exact same port size as my oem 4v intake i had on before i rebuilt it. the 2v intake was tiny by comparison. and my heads hadnt been swapped at this point. 4v intake, cast iron ford:

more importantly, the 2v intake.

pretty sure the block itself won't make a hill of beans difference.

this is the intake that matched. I ran this till i put on edelbrock rpm heads and intake.

fwiw i still have the heads, the stock intake is long gone. this is all on a 66.

·
Administrator
21,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I'll keep my eyes open! Added a pic of this to my phone so I know where my "notes" are.

hey thanks! Looking for a Sept ‘64 car, so 4G, H, or J would be good. I appreciate it, and glad you came up with a lead too!

·
Administrator
21,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
I don't think I ever paid attention to the dates or anything on these heads. Just stock out of a '74 F250 highboy. The intake came off one of the past 2 engines I had in it. Either don't remember year, Tbird or the '67 350GT mustang. My dad rebuilt the mustang engine for my car but the intake is probably from the previous engine for whatever reason. Here's a pic of intake and the numbers on it. Which would have to be from the tbird I would imagine.

I don't know what has what, intakes or really, engines are not my strong suit but I want the heads to match my intake and be what it was before the truck engine. Looking for an old Tbird ready for the scrap yard at the moment and I'll buy the whole car if it's reasonable. The one I looked at today was too high for me to make much of it back easily. Was hoping it had the same style seats as my galaxie but it didn't have the shells on the back of them. I'll find something when I quit looking so hard I bet!!

Wood Grey Font Artifact Art

Hood Light Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive air manifold

Looks way too clean with the new paint and the rest of the engine is a mess!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just looked on Facebook market place in washington and there is a few 390s on there in various conditions. . . It turned into the new Craigslist basically.

And this guy has some GOOD stuff!- https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/426614515453864/?ref=browse_tab&search_query=390fe

Did ask my dad up there if he had one he would let go of and he laughed at me over the phone for far to long 😑 . . .

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well, in a stroke of good fortune, I happened onto a complete 390 4v marauder engine with 4H dates…perfect for my car! Let’s hope it’s in good condition. I’d love it if it just needed cleaned/honed. We’ll see in a few days, being freighted from the seller.

·
Premium Member
6,038 Posts
i bought an Edelbrock intake and discovered later that it had been ported to exactly match my heads. Aluminum is easy to grind. What I don't know is if the porting actually improved performance. I'm guessing not, otherwise Ford would have done it.

·
Administrator
21,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I doubt that it is! I'm not even sure which of the engines I had that this came off of actually. I thought maybe the mustang but it could of been the tbird before that as I don't remember what bird they said it came out of either.

If I decide not to keep this one I will let you know! :D

Ooh, that 4J11 would be awesome on my car. :)any of the rest of that one around?

·
Administrator
21,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Yesterday afternoon I took a quick look to see if anything new was listed before I started changing the sparkplug on the truck. Found a '64 390 in portland for $50 and it wasn't sold yet after 2 hrs. I was surprised! It takes me about 2.5 hrs to get there or so. Needless to say, the guy said he'd hold it for me and the plug didn't get changed. The engine light went on and off a couple times and sputters but it made it there. The guy said the cam bearings were bad and it's been rebuilt miles ago and bored 40 so hoping it checks out as it would sure be nice to come full circle and have another '64 engine in there or by outward appearance, almost. It also came with the performer intake so even if the block turns out not to be good the intake is worth the trip! Between the 360 and this one we should be able to build a decent 390.

I did send emails and msgs to a couple people with Tbirds they were selling and/or parting out but nobody replied back. I was prepared to buy a whole car if needed! I really didn't want to go all the way to portland as i truly don't trust that truck as now it also has a water leak from the intake and just changed the alternator and still have the plug or coil pack to change. It has been patient on things though. I just have never gotten attached to this truck from almost the day we bought it like i usually do all my vehicles I've had very long. 20yrs with this one and still nothing. lol

The valve springs look pretty good at least and it's fairly clean. Ad said 100k miles on rebuild. He bought it from a galaxie guy way back when and in pieces, rebuilt it and put it in his pickup.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Rim Gas Automotive wheel system

Photograph Gas Coil spring Auto part Suspension

We drug it out of the truck with the excavator so didn't get the wire brush out yet. Will get a better look after it's on a stand rather than dangling, along with the date code. Camper shells are not your friend when you need to get an engine in the back with a hoist. But the excavator did good, just had to slide it a couple inches over and then up it came.
Water Art Auto part Metal Electric blue

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Grass Automotive exterior

It's nothing special other than a 390 but it's '64 and I'm happy with it...so far.

·
Administrator
21,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I did see all these but they were so far to go and I despise seattle! That one place, that guy had all our toys didn't he?!! I can just hear your dad laughing! Tacoma seems to be a mecca of 390 hoarders or they want a lot for them. Wish the one Tbird seller would of replied but never did. The car had been listed for 3 months already. Unless he sold it already and didn't remove the ad. It wasn't a driveable car or anything. Figured I'd make an offer and if he turned it down wait a while longer and ask again! The one i picked up was on craigslist and he's having to move soon. How i passed his place the first time at 10mph and not notice i have no idea. But then i was looking for house numbers not a Ford parking lot! He had 4 of them and one was a huge station wagon like a '70. I said it has to be right here, there's a ford truck like a 1962 or so stepside. My son says, mom there's a station wagon right in front of you! Duh! lol Knew it was the right house then even know we never saw the house number but there was another ford pickup in the driveway.

Thanks for sending all the links! Bet I'll see 10 of them right down the street now that I think I have one that will work!!

I just looked on Facebook market place in washington and there is a few 390s on there in various conditions. . . It turned into the new Craigslist basically.

And this guy has some GOOD stuff!- https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/426614515453864/?ref=browse_tab&search_query=390fe

Did ask my dad up there if he had one he would let go of and he laughed at me over the phone for far to long 😑 . . .

21 - 34 of 34 Posts