Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a set of (blue) Ford Racing 9mm spark plug wires from Summit, shown here: Ford Racing M-12259-C301 - Ford Racing Spark Plug Wire Sets - Overview - SummitRacing.com

My last set of wires were "custom cut yourself to fit" made by MSD....so when I ordered these, I didn't think about how short the distributor to coil wire was going to be, with the Ford Racing wires.

It makes sense, since these Ford brand wires are already cut to length and designed for a coil mounted in close proximity to the distributor cap (as they are from factory; often bolted onto one of the cylinder heads or horizontal above the intake manifold).

All that now explained...Here's my problem.... when I replaced the OEM ignition system with a (MSD distributor, ignition box and coil), I mounted the coil over on the drivers side fender well, next to my ignition box. This seemed like a good place, far way from the heat of the engine.

The wire I need to run from the distributor cap over to the coil needs to be much longer than the one that comes with the Ford racing wires. Can I obtain a longer Ford racing wire for this very purpose... or buy just one replacement wire and crimp the proper ends onto it? I looked around and haven't found anyone who carries just one single wire for Ford racing, 9mm and blue in color. I see that some companies do sell just one wire matching their sets, for those times where a header cooks a plug wire by accident.

I currently have an 8mm MSD Heli-core wire connecting my distributor cap to my coil. If I leave it this way... (assuming the wire itself is not worn out), would it cause any" loss", since the other wires will now be 9mm?

I'd prefer to find a longer matching wire if possible but if I have to use a different wire its not the end of the world.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I had the same issue when I moved my coil into the passenger compartment. I have red Ford wires. Went to Jegs and bought a 3 ft. MSD replacement coil wire that reached to where I needed.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably have to do the same thing. I'd like to keep the coil where it is (on the fender well) ...so I'll see who carries a wire, at least 9mm and run my own custom wire. I just want to make sure the wire I run is at least as good in quality as the Ford wires. Not that the Ford Racing wires are high end wires. I wish I could just buy a 3' length to match.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that's just what I'll do for now.

Almost a whole new subject...but is there a good/accurate way to test the MSD wires that I'm removing, to determine which if any of my old MSD 8mm wires will be the "best" canditate, to be utilized as a cap to coil wire?

I'd like to try to contact Ford Racing and see if they have a source for obtaining a longer wire. Somehow, I'm not too optimistic about that leading to a solution. Ford Racing will probably tell me that --this is the reason people buy their sets that you have to cut to size.

Too bad I don't have an old set of Ford wires...all I would need is one good wire, that was around 30"+ long.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts