Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone.. im looking for a new project car to begin work on after i move.. and im thinking either a '70 ford fairlane.. or a 1970 mustang coupe...

i know a lot of people tend to be hot for the fastbacks.. but, i dont know why, i like the standard fairlane body style over the slight differences with the torino... and seem to think the coupe body style follows the lines of the 70 mustang better than the fastback top does

so... i guess im going to go with either the 70 fairlane or the 70 mustang coupe and im not 100% sure which one

for either one though.. this will be a resto-mod... numbers matching doesnt matter, interior can be torn up for all i care since im fine reupholstering, carpeting, etc.. might not even use the original front seats anyway... ill go with a quality sound system, not an excessively loud one.. so quality sound, probably wont even go with an amp

also, performance wise i was going to take the drivetrain out of a newer mustang.. 4.6 maybe, if i could get the drivetrain out of a newer mustang i would like to go that route.. they deliver a ton of power without much weight and actually pretty good fuel economy too in a similar weight vehicle

performance isnt all that important... by that i mean im not going to be drag racing or showing off much... would be a regular driver

so... what do you guys think? should i go for the fairlane, or the mustang?.. or perhaps suggest something similar like the 70 falcon?.. ask me anything you like... im still undecided on a lot of the details and looking for some direction

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
im leaning towards going for the fairlane.. i admire cars like the dodge charger the pontiac GTO, the chevy chevelle... fairlane is in the same family as these, a mid-size muscle car.. mustangs are very common, so id rather pass on that... probably go with a '70 fairlane, or MAYBE a '70 maverick if i wanted something a bit smaller and lighter

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im not sure what sort of aftermarket support i would actually need?.. with a new drivetrain, interior, and electronics, as well as a newer suspension.. the only thing id need aftermarket for would be body panels, glass, lights, etc

ive actually been looking at the 68-69 fairlanes and that body style has been growing on me.. im not sure if this sounds odd or unusual.. but for some reason i cant stand how the torinos look

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Just make sure the car you end up getting is complete, or whatever parts need replaced or are missing that you can find them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah.. ill probably go with a 68/69 fairlane, the body style is growing up me too much to ignore.. as long as the frame is solid, and body is in repairable shape, ill be putting on an all new drivetrain, suspension, and interior... also replacing components with universal components as i need, for example, instead of using the factory fairlane muffer, ill design the exhaust system to use inexpensive universal fit mufflers to save on future repairs... and upgrade a lot of the components as i can to more readily available parts... so when i rebuild this, im going to rebuild it with future repairs in mind so i wont be in the dark when it comes time to fix something after the initial frame off restoration

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
let me ask this question... ford came out with the mustang, to answer them, the camaro, cuda, and challenger came out.... when the charger, GTO, and chevelle came out, what was fords answer?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts