Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have some poorly bent upper radiator supports and would like to go to a full support with a bit of asthetics.Looking for someone with a sheet metal brake and aluminum fab skills. Happy to pay the price, local shops won't touch it :rolleyes:. If you have the skills and the time shoot me a PM with a cost.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Vehicle

Looking to go to this
Automotive tire Hood Tire Wheel Motor vehicle

Open to brushed aluminum material
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Number

Attachments

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Looks relatively simple.
I have a large enough metal brake and a TIG welder.
The catch is I’m in Canada.
If no one else closer to you steps up, maybe we could work something out.

0.032” seems a bit thin to me.
What about 1/16” or even 1/8” 0.125”

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am in!!! No big hurry and like the sugestions on thickness. Shoot me a PM with an approximate cost with shipping to 99205. Once we agree I can send proper measurements.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
When you re-draw for material thickness, be sure you've included space for your cushion pads against the top tank. I like to select my pads at the hardware or crafts store (or solution like split fuel hose or glued vacuum tubing) first to know how much space to give them. They don't have to be full length, but need depth.
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Number

Life may be easier to make it from formed shapes or extrusions, such as Z-bend channel, or making the second lip by riveting or screwing 1/2" angle to the Z-bend without welding. Just some fab ideas.

You might prefer aluminum, but there are other materials that are easy to do at home that are more conformable, such as carbon fiber. Some simple foam blocks makes the throw-away mold, and can then include features such as bevels, reinforcement ribs, a design, etc. While overall cost is "low", the investment of time and one-shot materials may be higher, but it's just another option. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Depending on your drawing/modeling skills, these could be options for you.

They can do 1 of 1 fabs for you, including bending/welding.

I would also agree with the recomendation to 1/8" thick 5052 Alum sheet.
Good to hear a forum member is helping too.

Just an idea to share for others with a similar task.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts