Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first thing I am wondering is this I have a 90 Ranger w/ a 2.9. Now I know it has a 7.5 in it and I think it is either a 3.08 or 3.25 gear without traction-lok,I have a 7.5 with trac-lok and a 2.73 gear,what I would like to do is put the 2.73 gear and trac-lok in for the reason of saving alittle gas. This truck sees alot of highway miles and speeds. Do you guys think this is a good move or would it bog the motor to much and hurt the gas milage?
Also I do not think the ABS is working,how can I fix this? Last winter with what little bit of snow we did get this thing would lock up the front tires with just barely pushing the pedal. I think someone might have by-passed the system if this is possible. I have know idea when it comes to ABS what look for and what not to look for. Can anyone offer some advice/help

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
30+ views and no one has an opinion or advice???????? Come on I thought you guys knew everything. Ok,thanks anyway I will post this on some other boards I visit and see what happens. Again thanks for aleast looking.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cougar on 4/21/02 8:40pm ]</font>

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Joe,Man it seems everytime I post over here I get no reply's. Everyone says this is the best ford sight but damn,I don't know maybe I pissed everyone off. Oh well.

Again thank you

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm not really too sure about the gears but I don't think I'd go with anything too high as the 2.9 really isnt all that powerful to start with and you might have to always be WOT to go anywhere which will kill the mileage. As for the brakes.....the Ranger only has rear wheel ABS and they never did work all that well but even if someone bypassed it all that would do is make it like there was no ABS. I'd bet that the rear brakes arent working how they should. If I had to guess I'd say the wheel cylinders are seized which is very common. If they are OK it might just be a matter of adjusting the brakes but I would sure take them apart to check.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I'd stay with the gears you have mainly because of torque multiplication. As far as the a-lock is concerned, you stated that you "think" they're not working. What's the symptom? Do they lock-up? All the time? Does the a-lock warning light come on? Does it flash a code? The more info you can share, the better we can assist you. Anti-lock fails to function usually due to either sensor, module, or wiring problems. The early rear only units were trouble prone to begin with. If someone has monkeyed with the wiring to the rear brake lamps to install a trailer harness, for instance, that can trigger a warning lamp or disable the a-lock altogether. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FX there is a trailor harness haging off the back,they do seem to work when you press on them,alest they did with it jacked up and turned them by hand and had my 4yr old hit the pedal. As far as the gear what I wanted to do is lower my highway rpms. At 65-70 I am running 2500 +/- a few in over drive. FX do you think if I get rid of that damn harness and wire it back color for color it might help? Oh,and the ABS light only comes on when I first start it,and even if I stick with the gear that is in it I am still thinking about putting the trac-lok in there hell it can't hurt with the winter driving in the snow.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cougar on 4/21/02 11:34pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Putting the wires back to original would be a good place to start. Light on at start up usually indicates a wiring issue if I remember correctly; they've even been known to come on if a brake light bulb is out! It'll flash a code if it's a wheel sensor/module. As far as the t-lock, that's a no brainer. The gear is gonna be your own personal choice if you're willing to give up quite a bit of acceleration. Ford put that factory gear ratio in for the best compromise between mileage/performance. Too low (numerically) a gear could cause the engine to lug and that's not good on bearings, plus every little hill you come to on the interstate is gonna cause the engine to downshift. If it doesn't drive you crazy, the extra wear and tear it'll put on the tranny could...just my 2 penny's worth!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts