Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked high and low for information on the 65 4-speed transmission without success. The one that I have shifts sloppy and is hard to get into reverse. I am not an expert on these things but I can read, is there some information on rebuilding/servicing this transmission?

·
Premium Member
4 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
You did not mention overall design. Do you have the Borg-Warner four speed with side opening, or the Ford design?

If real diffucult to get into reverse, check to see if clutch is dragging any. Rebuilding won't make it go in easier if this is the problem.

Wm.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
coosbaylumber,
"toploader" pretty much identifies it as a Ford "design". The only "toploader" used in the cars is the Ford toploader - called that because everything is loaded through the top cover opening. They are also called the RUG type. Two different gear ratios and two different input shafts. All four are Ford Toploaders.
Paul

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Paul....

If you read the heading and paragraph by GLW, it does not mention exactly which transmission is being mentioned. Most have done some assumption. The B-W transmission was still rather popular at the time. I own cars with both. The B-W is certainly easier to take apart too.

Wm.

·
Registered
27 Posts
On 2007-01-15 05:55, PaulS1950 wrote:
coosbaylumber,
"toploader" pretty much identifies it as a Ford "design". The only "toploader" used in the cars is the Ford toploader - called that because everything is loaded through the top cover opening. They are also called the RUG type. Two different gear ratios and two different input shafts. All four are Ford Toploaders.
Paul
There are also HEH variations. I have an HEH-T toploader out of a K code stang. It even has the VIN stamped on the bottom.

As to what the original poster was needing, are the gears in the tranny accessible from the sides or the top?

Rob

·
Registered
187 Posts
I rebuilt mine with a kit from Mark at toploaderheaven.com
He has great rebuilding instructions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts