Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello -
I have a 1988 Mustang ASC/McLaren - 5.0 - Automatic - Convertable

The question I have is what is the optimum offset, backspacing and size I can use if I do a "Cobra "R" 5 lug conversion - the kit is coming from Steeda
Cobra R Disc Brake Conversion Kit - '79-'93 Ford Mustang

The kit comes with: Large 13" vented front rotors and 11.65" vented rear rotors. Steeda's complete kit includes all new rotors, master cylinder, proportioning valves, lines, brackets, hardware.

I have tried to find out from them what size Rims they suggest but havent heard back.

Has anyone on this forum had the oppurtunity to size out rims?
This car is going to be a daily driver street car.
I have heard that a 17 x 6 with a backspacing of 6" inch will work but I am looking for something more definite before I purchase rims/tires.

The ideal situation would be a rim/tire setup that is able to fit under the wheel wells with no rubbing.

In addition I have a Steeda G Trac Stage 1,2,3 Suspension kit that I will be putting on.

Please if you have knowledge of this "COBRA R" setup on this year car I would love to hear from you. :)

Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have done this M2300K brake conversion on my '88 LX Coupe, actually back in '96 or so. Has been an excellent set up. A lot of work to put on but fun and very rewarding.

17x6?? Assuming that 6" is a typo..

As to wheels, any OE Bullits or OE wheels sized 17x8 w/ 30mm offset (5.75" backspacing will work out. 1998 Cobra OE wheels at 17x8 look very good too. At the time Ford Motorsport recommended the Cobra R wheel made in these two offsets: 17x9 front, 24 mm offset, 5.95 b/s; and 17x9 rear, 36 mm offset, 6.42" b/s. I ran this set up back in '98 on a 255/45 17 tire and it worked well.

Over the years I ended up going w/ a staggered wheel set up and have found this to suit perfectly:

- 18x8 30 mm o/s (5.75" b/s), 245/40 18 tire (seemed there was always a turning compromise running much more than 8" wide)

- and 18x9 45 mm o/s (6.75" b/s), 275/35 18 tire (the key is that 45 mm offset, tucking the rear wheel in more, this to overcome the longer rear axles that are part of the M2300K set up)

Be sure to measure your car carefully as each set up is different depending on springs, exhaust, and other modifications.

Here is my car:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3246043

No rubbing and full turns. Car is on Eibach springs.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks much -

Yes, it was a typo....:rolleyes:
Perfect write up.

Ordering today.

I have done this M2300K brake conversion on my '88 LX Coupe, actually back in '96 or so. Has been an excellent set up. A lot of work to put on but fun and very rewarding.

17x6?? Assuming that 6" is a typo..

As to wheels, any OE Bullits or OE wheels sized 17x8 w/ 30mm offset (5.75" backspacing will work out. 1998 Cobra OE wheels at 17x8 look very good too. At the time Ford Motorsport recommended the Cobra R wheel made in these two offsets: 17x9 front, 24 mm offset, 5.95 b/s; and 17x9 rear, 36 mm offset, 6.42" b/s. I ran this set up back in '98 on a 255/45 17 tire and it worked well.

Over the years I ended up going w/ a staggered wheel set up and have found this to suit perfectly:

- 18x8 30 mm o/s (5.75" b/s), 245/40 18 tire (seemed there was always a turning compromise running much more than 8" wide)

- and 18x9 45 mm o/s (6.75" b/s), 275/35 18 tire (the key is that 45 mm offset, tucking the rear wheel in more, this to overcome the longer rear axles that are part of the M2300K set up)

Be sure to measure your car carefully as each set up is different depending on springs, exhaust, and other modifications.

Here is my car:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3246043

No rubbing and full turns. Car is on Eibach springs.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I have a 92 Coupe with the 5 Lug conversion along with the 98 Cobra Brake package. (I just upgraded the front calipers to 6 piston Baer 6p's). I run the 17x 9 Cobra 'R' Wheels with 275 x 40 tires all around. I have had no issues with clearance. I am also running a complete Maximum Motorsports Suspension now and the clearance issue almost popped it's head after installing a coilover arrangement. The front tires start getting close to the coil over shocks. If you are running Cobra Calipers you have to use 17" wheels.

You can look on Ebay at different Ford Wheels and they list offset and backspacing. I think as long as you use a Ford Wheel no wider than 9" and a resonable sized tire you will not have an issue with clearance.

I have modified many Fox Bodied Mustangs. Good Luck in your quest.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I looked at your Coupe finally on your link. That is an awesome looking Coupe. I don't know how you get traction on that monster with a supercharged 351.

My coupe used to be kenne bell supercharged but the low end torque was so stout it made the car unsafe to drive, especially coming out of turns.

I like the looks of the 18" Y2K cobra 'R' wheels myself. I am considering upgrading to those on my Coupe. I like the standard non-chrome finish. If I could afford them I would install a set of 18" BBS wheels.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I like the look of cobra r on a foxbody myself. I seen one wit a set of 20 inch cobra r wheels a while ago. i wanted to get a set but couldnt find them any where

1 - 8 of 8 Posts