Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still having issues getting my galaxie right, I'm in Killeen and having a hard time finding anyone familiar with the engine to work with. I'm willing to pay, just don't know anyone in the area that is familiar with the 390. Having a hard time timing it properly and getting the intake to seat properly.
PM me if you're in the area and interested.
Thanks,
Brian

·
Administrator
21,671 Posts
I'll email a friend that works on Ft Hood, she might know of someone maybe. I don't know of anyone here in your area though, but then i don't remember where everyone lives either. :) I lived outside Copperas Cove way back when.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
I am in south Austin.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Ted Eaton is in Lorena just up the road from you. He is a noted Y-Block and FE expert.
He can usually be reached at Eaton Balancing (you can Google it) or at the y-blocksforever.com web board (Where he is a moderator) or at [email protected]

I am in Austin if I can be of any help but I am no FE expert.

Scott...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh wow. Good start. Lol I work on ft hood too. I'll haul it if I need to but would prefer to not have to get a trailer to take to Lorena or such. Thanks for the suggestions so far.
Brian

·
Administrator
21,671 Posts
Great there is a couple round you. Got a reply and she said she'd get back with me, she knows somebody that might know somebody so must be someone she works with. Small world isn't it?

This girl i grew up with in a tiny town of 200 and then ran into her in a parking lot in Germany. So the world really is a small place!! I don't know where she works but would be odd to be in the same place!! I just know she retired and just stayed there and got a civi job

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
I like the Gal all dressed up for Halloween Shotrod ! Take'n her trick or treat'n ?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's great! I started her up and moved to the garage.. I put it on rollers to see how good it rolls around.. Not very good! Lol
Brian

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Any decent mechanic should be able to time the 390, nothing special about timing. Tell us more about the intake, they are famous for oil leaks on the rear rubber gasket.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've tried to reseat it twice now? I can't get it to not leak... I've heard getting the timing right was a little tricky on it.
Brian

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As far as timing, It's getting everything I did at once to work well together, the dist, adjust the carb right for the config. See if we can tell what is done to the engine (I've got a feeling what I was TOLD was done and what was done may not be the same.
Brian

·
Administrator
21,671 Posts
I like the Gal all dressed up for Halloween Shotrod ! Take'n her trick or treat'n ?
Halloween car show last year, this year working on something different if i can make it work! Hated halloween as a kid but like dressing the car up for it. lol Everyone gives out candy at the show, it's fun and some put a lot of money into it. Me, i'm cheap, i try to make all my stuff. :)

·
Administrator
21,671 Posts
The friend of mine in TX won't be back to work til monday, she just emailed back. Bummers. Always wondered bout those rollers, i suppose with a big heavy car they aren't great but you could push a small honda through the wall with the same force. lol

When you put the intake on did you use an engine hoist to help you set it down? I've been told by some not to even use the rear gasket, to put a beat of rtv and let it set up then place the intake, same with front. Or to use the gaskets but again a thin layer of rtv, let set a while so it holds the gasket in place then continue. Mine leaks out the rear because i didn't want to take it off the 3rd time and was tired of arguing with the husband on how to do it. I wanted to use the cherry picker he insisted it would mess up the carb bolts. And i know a complete engine is pulled with those 4 bolts. lol Doesn't leak bad but one day i'll get ambitious maybe.

Mine doesn't like the recommended timing but i kinda think, since the damper is ancient maybe it's not right either. After timing is set i usually end up going by ear and tweaking it to what the car likes.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, I did not use a hoist. I'm a big guy.. me and a buddy set it on. The first time, I used used a rubber gasket I think. The second time, I just tried to build up a nice little wall of RTV if I remember correctly. It's annoying as drips on the headers and smokes. I contacted Mr. Eaton out of Lorena. He only deals with engines, not cars but seems quite friendly and helpful. I think there are better rollers that will work better, these are the cheaper harbor freight ones (I inherited them so I can't complain much..
Thanks,
Brian

·
Administrator
21,671 Posts
Definitely don't want oil drippin on the exhaust. Fire hazzard and stench both. Mine misses mine as i don't have a crossover or anything, each side has standalone pipes to the back.

I'll let you know when ever i hear from the friend of mine. By that time maybe you'll have it set right.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Brian,
Try to set it again, but this time make sure the block and the manifold are hospital clean. Scrape off the old gasket, wire brush the block and manifold, clean metal with degrease (carb cleaner or paint degrease). Don't let any of that trash get into your engine as you clean. Use lint free cloth to wipe down metal where gasket goes, wear rubber gloves, hospital clean. Then take your gaskets and use "the right stuff" gasket sealer. Glue the gasket onto the block first (front and back) let it dry for a few hours (do not put gasket sealer on the head gaskets only on the cork gaskets along the front and back of block). Then put the gasket sealer onto the top of the gaskets, plus a daub of sealer in the corners next to the heads, then place the manifold on top carefully (its 90 lbs if it is steel) make sure you don't disturb the gaskets on the block. Once you set the manifold down, don't pick it up or slide it around, use a flashlight and inspect the gaskets front and back. Start to torque the manifold bolts from the middle to the edges (look this up on the internet and follow the torque pattern and specs closely). Leave it sit overnight and you should have no leaks.
Couple of tricks: don;t use too much sealer, don't glob it on. nice thin coat. Use the right stuff sealer. make sure you have new gaskets (don't try to reuse your old one). Use a hoist or have a buddy help you place the manifold down easy so not to disturb your gaskets. Let it dry before you run it.
good luck

JIM

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
I used the cork end gaskets that came with the kit. Where the ends met the heads I trimmed 45 degrees so there would be a smooth transition and put a gob of RTV there. When you align the intake keep an eye on the transition to the head so it will be smooth. if it's not, smoothen it out with black RTV and let it dry overnight before installing the valve covers.

I don't have any leaks but I have an aluminum intake, neither it nor the heads have been milled and only done this twice, so YMMV.

Good luck

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the informative post Jim. I'll order some sealant today. I'm checking advance and see the right stuff under a few labels, any particular flavor? Go cork gaskets over rubber? I've heard the cork give out and blow out.
Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
forgot to add.. if it matters, it is an aluminum intake. An older Holley street dominator I bought off here awhile back.
Brian

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
If you are not sure if the block has been decked or not or if the heads have been milled or not or if the intake has been milled or not then you should spend some time making sure the intake aligns with the heads and make sure there is still space for the two end gaskets.
I usually check the surfaces by setting the intake dry on the heads with only the head to intake gasket (a new one) installed. Look closely at the alignment of head to intake. Is it flat at the mating surfaces from top to bottom? Then measure the distance between intake and the block surface where the end gaskets go. It that distance is less than 2/3's the thickness of the end gasket then you might be better off getting a rubber seal or just making a seal with "The right stuff" or some other sealer.
Also make sure your block does not have a locating pin on the front rail or if it does make sure the intake has a hole for the pin. Usually only the early FE blocks had the pins but you never know unless you verify it.

Make sure you are using intake gaskets that have the locking tabs where they lock into the head gasket. This is the easiest way to locate your intake gaskets properly and they will help hold them in place while you set the intake in place.

Scott...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts