Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the mornings my transmission won't even creep at idle. You have to run it up to 2,000 rpm just to get out of the driveway. After a few blocks though everything is fine. Anyone have any thoughts about why it is so sluggish when cold?

I is supposed to be a rebuilt 1959 MX Cruisomatic (pre-vacuum modulator). I *think* it has a over-2000 stall converter, based on my tests. Fluid is dark red but the bottom of the pan has a layer of black gooey stuff. I put a can of Trans-X 500 miles ago. Filter is clean though when I pulled it off an extra cup of fluid was released from up in there.

The dipstick tube goes into the [pan. The fluid level, when barely covering the end of the dipstick, is 1 1/2" from the top of the pan. When I check it cold it has risen up a lot on the dipstick, over 4". Does this seem like a lot? Sometimes I leave a puddle, I think it is coming out from the top of the tube. So maybe I am not keeping it filled right. What is the correct level?

Any thoughts, recommenations of things to do before I put the pan back on? Thanks!

·
Administrator
21,683 Posts
My other trans was doing that and after warmed up it was fine til it got cold again. This was after the last time i had it apart to put new seals on the shift linkage. Was fine before. Never figured out what it was for sure but my guess was something restricting the flow til the fluid got hot enough to bypass it.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I stopped reading for just a second after I got to you talking about levels.. sounds like to me the converter is leaking back......

Black goo is kinda 'normal' if it doesnt have a lot of sparkleys or chunks...

Another thought, what does the level show AFTER its warmed and moves again? Following the checking procedure of course.....

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I stopped reading for just a second after I got to you talking about levels.. sounds like to me the converter is leaking back......

Black goo is kinda 'normal' if it doesnt have a lot of sparkleys or chunks...

Another thought, what does the level show AFTER its warmed and moves again? Following the checking procedure of course.....

The dipstick indicators may not be correct because it is not the stick that goes with the transmiddion. But I checked again and I would say the level (engine hot, in idle and drive gear) I am at now is 1 1/2" from the top of the pan. and 1 1/4" from the bottom. Basically 45% full. When it cooled off the fluid goes up the tube another 4 or 4 1/2 ".

I calculate the volume that drained was 5 qts.

·
Administrator
21,683 Posts
Not sure how much yours holds but seems like mine is about 8 qts of fluid, not counting the torque converter. But need to find exact amount so you know without the stick there is the correct amount so you can then mark it. They do say to check the fluid when warm. I can't tell in your pics if this is pan mounted dipstick tube or not. My fluid goes above the pan level by just a little bit when cold and it's pan mounted tube.

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine is a pan dipstick and the dipstick stops just as the tube turns horizontal. Idling in gear I have the fluid filled to the tip of the stick, basically the pan is half full.

I am afraid to fill it any more bacause when it shuts down, the tube fills halfway up! Where does it all come from!

·
Administrator
21,683 Posts
I'm not sure how full the pan is on mine when it's just sitting but know it sure will run out on your head when removing the pan and the side you want to come off first doesn't. :) But don't think i ever measured what i drained out but it did take about 8 qts to fill that booger back up again. Is yours the medium case cruiso? I pretty sure my other tranny is the same as yours, i'll go check it out tomorrow and measure the tube and dipstick on it.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Being a pre-61 COM, it is controlled by a Throttle Valve Rod (similar to an AOD). This has to be adjusted correctly or she will burn.

You have to find the correct OEM dipstick to ensure correct fluid level, period. If she pukes out of the fill tube after shutdown, considers too much fluid, aerated fluid, bad case vent and as suggested a leaking down convertor.

Then service, fill correctly and take a pressure reading. Adjust the bands.

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Deb. Will you see how high it is on the stick it is when cold, too? My dipstick level rises 4 or 4 1/2" when it cools off.

·
Administrator
21,683 Posts
My old trans is like yours so there is no fluid in it. All i can do is measure the tube and the stick. But can also tell you how far up the stick the full mark is. Just in case your stick is the right length and might be the same.

Tube is 26 7/8", was kinda hard to measure around the bend. But this is pretty close.
Stick is 21"
Full 2 7/8 from end
Add 2 1/4 from end.

So the fluid does go approx 3 inches up the tube when full. I can't see the end of the stick when looking at the pan end of the tube, the stick actually ends just before the bend. Before the bend it's horizontal with the pan then turns upward. Probably close to a half inch before it even reaches the stick and the add mark is another 2 inches up from there.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Tube is 26 7/8", was kinda hard to measure around the bend. But this is pretty close.
Stick is 21"
Full 2 7/8 from end
Add 2 1/4 from end.
Excellent info, Deb! I would ask, that due to different sticks and tubes, if you can measure down your stick and tube to see how far above the pan rail the level should be (Park/running/warm), then anyone could use the info. Such as "When in Park, running and warm, the fluid level should be X inches above the pan rail." would be awesome.

David

·
Administrator
21,683 Posts
I could guesstimate by using the full mark on the stick since this tranny is sitting in the shed. But i can say it would, at the least, be a good inch above the pan edge. I'll have to go out and check my guess later today if i get the chance. Hoping to go look at a car today for chris. While at garys we were going to check out a mustang since the honda didn't fit but found it was clear up by you. Soft top his head would of fit better than the honda lol

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went ahead and tightened the front band and checked the converter valves with the big springs for stickyness. Screwed the pan back on and then, trying to put the dipstick tube back in, stripped the threads on the big nut.

Anyone know what I should do next? The tube looks like an inverted flare, probably not NPT but not sure.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
geeesch put.....
whats going on over there....
seems like evereytime you fix one thing ,you brake something else in the process....:eek:
that might be a hard nut to find...may have to do some junk yard scavageing....
i have tube and nut,,,
but hate to give it up ...as i have the the complet unit...
good functuing cruiso transmission.....;)

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
geeesch put.....
seems like evereytime you fix one thing ,you brake something else in the process....:eek:;)
Tell me about it :confused::mad: Is it something a machine shop can fix ?

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tell me about it :confused::mad: Is it something a machine shop can fix ?

Follow up: Machine shop charged me $30 to re-thread both sides. I am back in business.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
geeesch put.....

seems like evereytime you fix one thing ,you brake something else in the process....:eek:
BREAK... The word is break. Do not use the word brake improperly as it may start another thread... :frown:

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can anyone with a 65 (or comparable) measure for me where the opening is for the rear band adjustment? My carpet is glued down. I am willing to make a cut or two but don't want to be jack the ripper in there!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Can anyone with a 65 (or comparable) measure for me where the opening is for the rear band adjustment? My carpet is glued down. I am willing to make a cut or two but don't want to be jack the ripper in there!
:eek: going to adjust the trans band from INSIDE the car? Why?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts