Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, i'm looking at buying a used(1985-93, theese are in my $$ range) f-250 or 350 with a diesel or a 460. how reliable are the eariler diesel engines and what kind of mileage(not mpg) can i expect to get out of one? most of the ones i have run across so far are anywhere from 120K miles and up. anything i should look for when buying? i may just get a 460 powered one because i could always rebuild it myself. thanks alot guys.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Personally, I think you would be better off saving a few more bucks and go for the 95 PSD and up....they have the turbo and make good hp and torque without lots of mods...After buying my PSD....i wouldn't have a gasser again....with 4.10 gears and cruising with no load at 60-65 mph, i can get 20 mpg.

I would go hear and ask your questions......

www.ford-diesel.com

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Watch out for terrible problems with the belt and idler on these trucks, ford had about 20 or 30 tsb's on these at last count and STILL hadn't resolved the problems so far as I know. I'd agree about holding out for a newer model. They seemed to be a lot more reliable. Of course, if you can stand 10-12 mpg, you can't beat a good old 460!

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
I was kinda in the same market a couple years ago when I needed a truck.

I wanted a heavy duty F-250, F-350 and it had to be a super-cab.

I found alot with 460s and some with Diesels for sale in the year range I wanted (92-97).

The ones with the diesels were ALOT more money and had ALOT more miles on them compared to the gas 460 trucks.

I guess the diesel will go farther and get better mileage but,at that time (2 years ago) I could only spend about $15,000 for a truck.

I found that the used PSD market was insanely priced,the were asking $16,000-$18,000 for trucks with 125,000-175,000 miles on them.

Sure a powerstroke will go a long time but,I was'nt going to buy a truck with that many miles on everything else on it.

So I eneded up with a 95 F-350 Daully super-cab with a 460 auto for $14,000 (2 years ago) and it had only 65,000 miles on it.

The mileage on a Gas 460 truck with EFI is really not that bad?

When I went to pick up my Galaxie it was over 1000 miles round trip and I averaged 13.7 pulling the 6000 lb load.

I guess it depends on your budget,if you can swing a lower mileage PSD truck I would think that would be a good move.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I agree, if you can hold out longer and swing the extra money for a newer Powerstroke I'd wait. I bought a new one in 97 and really like it. I've gotten as high as 23mpg empty. Mines a 2wd supercab. It will get 17mpg with the 28ft. trailer with the Mustang inside.

·
Registered
567 Posts
My stepdad just bought an 89 Diesel F-250, extended cab. Only 85,000 miles, break in for these engines is about 95,000 miles, He gets 18 MPG, and thats with 4.10 gears, and no overdrive. These diesels will run till the end of time, you could go for the powerstroke, which is even more powerfull, but you dont need it, its just damn cool. As for the 460, its more Hp, less torque, and bad gas milage. My stepdad paid 9000 for his, got a great deal, its also 4x4, new tires, spotless paint, it looks like its new! As for how many miles, the average is 16k per year, but if you get a diesel, it'll run forever anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
I'm gonna step in and say get an 84-93 model with either the 6.9 or 7.3 engine. I personally have an '85 F-250 that I bought almost 4 years ago. I easily get 17 miles per gallon in town and 20-22 on the highway with 4.10 gears and a non-overdrive 4 speed.
Check out the forums at www.ford-diesel.com and read up on and ask a few questions there.

The naturally aspirated 6.9/7.3 engines are not the fastest things in the world but Banks, Hypermax, and ATS make kits for them if you purchase one that's non-turbo. There's also propane kits available to increase power even more. Personally there is no way I'd buy a powerstroke unless it was a very good price. There have been a fair share of problems with them as well, and being that the injection is totally computer controlled it is almost impossible to work on one yourself. A regular 6.9/7.3 is no harder to work on than a hot rod. The injection pump is rotary just like an old style fuel injection and the injectors and glow plugs are at the top where it's not a problem to get to them. A powertroke requires you to remove the valve cover to service the injectors.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have to agree with Jeremy, I have worked on many Powerstrokes and many Navistar's. The International Navistar is a much nicer engine and more reliable than a PSD and you cvan make a Navistar whoopass on a Powerstroke cheap and get better mileage with it to boot. I have toyed with the idea of pulling the 521 out of my ruck and putting in a N/A 7.3 Navistar or a DT466 with a 7 speed behind it into my 79 F350, I am just too lazy to divorce moun the X-Case, or it might be that i am holding out for a 5.9 24V turbo Cummins. IMHO the Cummins is better than the Navistar/PowerStroke. Too bad you couldn't suff a Cat turbo 3208 in there with a 6+1 Spicer, it would be too heavy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts