Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals, as you have probably seen in my signature for awhile now, I am looking to purchase a 1963.5 Galaxie 500 XL next year. I'm putting this thread in here now, so hopefully someone will "watch" the thread and have the perfect ride ready for me next May.
I have set my budget at $30K and will be paying cash when the right car comes along. I have had to get all my ducks in a row to be able to be in the position to make the purchase like I want in May 2014, but that is all now in place.
I have restored a few vehicles over the years and know how long a nice restoration takes, therefore I am putting this out there now, in case anyone has a project they are in the midst of and are anticipating completion around that time. I want to throw some of my specifics out there with hopes that if interior and paint have not yet been decided on, maybe you could think about possibly leaning my way.
Anyway, I'm 55 now and figure to drive at least another 20 years and need this car to last me that long using it as a semi-daily driver, so I want it nicely restored down to new rubber, bushings, suspension, gas tank, etc because it needs to last. Obviously a great frame and no rust anywhere is a must.
So here is what I am looking for:
1963.5 Galaxie 500 XL fastback- It needs to be the XL interior with buckets and a console.
I really want a 4 speed transmission. If the car was perfect other than this, I could accept an automatic with a console.
The engine is really a non issue to me as long as it is very fresh and a V-8, I will not be too worried. I do want to go fuel injected with throttle body injection and will add it myself after the purchase, but if it was already there that would obviously be a BIG plus. Nice headers would also be a plus, so I don't have to do it after the purchase.
I really would like it to have AC. I will be adding some modern classic AC if it does not have it at time of purchase.
I like the old school look of big and littles on the tires and wheels. I like raised white letters and 5 spokes like Cragar SS and American Racing.
As far as colors, my perfect combo would be Rose Beige with a white top and the rose beige color interior. The next favorite colors for interior in order of preference would be white, red, and black.
Paint color preference after the above listed would be Black, Red, White or other factory colors. I'm not crazy about blue.
Disc brakes would be nice, but are not a must have.
I want the interior and dash to be as stock as possible and all of the exterior chrome to be there. I hate the "clean" look where the chrome has be removed or painted.
I am trying to recreate some of my earlier memories with my dad with this car. I remember sitting in his lap steering his 63.5 Rose Beige with white top when I was 10 years old. He was working the pedals and letting me steer. When I was 12 he let me drive while he was sitting beside me. I loved that car, and I have really great memories of him and I going fishing with it, etc.
Anyway I have gone on long enough, and I hope someone that has exactly what I want is process will be ready to strike a deal in May of 2014. I know what these cars should go for when properly done. I know what I want to spend, so what you want and what I pay will depend entirely on how much of what I want is already on your ride. Thanks for reading my rambling.

·
Registered
977 Posts
At least you know what you want.
Now maybe some one on here will know some one who can build it. Get er done (Fe) you've got till 2014.
I'll ask my brother he's into buying /selling classics..

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
I can build you a nicer than nice 63 Galaxie with a 4 speed, and give it any color interior and exterior and engine and trans combo you'd like for just about $30K.

I can do it right here in my shop on my rotisserie, and guarantee (limited liability-guarantee) the engine and tranny and paint for 5 years from completion.

Too bad for you I can't start on one until August or September at the earliest and it will take about 6 months to complete.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fe do you have a website or something that shows the work you do? I assume this must be your business (life)? Are you saying you would not be ready to begin a new project until August or September of 2014? Send me a PM when you have a chance.

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Yup, It's RIGHT here below my name. vintagevehiclerestoration.com

The site is new, it's only 24 bucks a month, and it's all I can do to understand how to update it etc...

I am on a 65 Mustang convertible right now that must needs be done by Sept 5th. But I think I can get her out by August. Then I have a short restoration on a 1998 Jeep Wrangler, just frame repair and coating, with a bunch of body work and some easy mods that won't take a lot of time, and then I'm free.

At my shop it's first come first served.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes Gary, actually I do like what I see. When the time gets closer I'll give you a call and we can discuss it all. I definitely like the idea of getting specifically what I want, especially my Rose Beige and white exterior and my 4 speed. I like the personal touch and knowing it will get attention to detail.
What I hate is when these sellers throw paint and tires on a car and call it restored, when nothing under the car or electrically has been gone through.
Gregg

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sent you a contact at your site.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
At least you will know it's done right.
If it was me, I'd be willing to wait for FE to make you the car, seems like you could custom tailor it to your needs/desires instead of making due with someone else's idea of perfection.

On another note, I just want to congratulate you on being so open and honest, plus having 30k puts you in a position for getting a very very nice car. Most people have much more unrealistic expectations. Shoot, I wish I had $5k to sink into my car at the time :p course, you've got 20 years on me.

either way, I hope you get what you want, and I hope someday my son has fond memories of me and him in my 63.5 Galaxie.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I got no money to sink into anything, but I wish I had.... :)
Amen!! I ran out of people to barter with . I sprayed the ole gal this morning( mind you this was a first). Now I have more sanding to do because they is a few runs..
I've the rest of my life to get it right. (we learn by our mistakes) someone said.. When I'm finished she'll be white " SnoWhite"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts