Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into getting a welder for home, I have 220 in the garage, but am being told I dont need a 220v welder...
All I need it for is to weld exhuast systems and roll cage e.t.c....
The tool guy at work says all I need is a 110v. to do this dont waste my money...
I was originally looking in a 220v (150 or 175amp).... Is this too much welder for what I am going to use it for????

Thanks Billy

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well I like my hobart handlers. I have a 135 and my dad has a 130 that I've used on my 86 F150 frame both happen to work on 110 volt and I would say thats probably all you need unless you're going to weld some really thick metal.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Well i have a millermatic 185 220 volt. Im very happy with it it does sheet metal just fine and it allows me to tackle heavy stuff also. I have used it on half inch plate to 22 gauge sheet metal with great results. If i had it to do over again i wouldn't do it any other way. 220 volt for me. Every thing you see done to my falcon i have done it with the miller.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Hi!

I can give you a piece of very sound advice, buy *American Made Welders! All the rest are very expensive for service and parts.

I am a Welding engineering technologist, so I have been around the welding block numerous times.

I used a Millermatic 200 for years now. Great welder!

Terry

·
Registered
170 Posts
I to have a Miller, I think its a 172, I'm too lazy to go out to the garage to look. It's perfect for the garage and I had a welder tell me to avoid all 110 welders. He has been welding for us for over 30 years so I trusted his advise. He also has several Millers in his shop that he uses daily

·
Registered
66 Posts
The time I bought my hobart 135 handler both miller and hobart where now being made by same company is this so or not.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
the 220-volt welders have a more stable arc. The 110's voltage drops so much due to other household accessories being cycled on and off that the arc voltage becomes unstable, especially at the higher heat ranges and wire speeds. I bought a Linclon Mig-pak 100, works great for all sheet metal and exhaust pipe (with CO2), but for heavier framework and such (3/16" and larger) I'd go with a minimum of 150 amp welder.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Oh, and yes, it does an excellent job on aluminum and stainless too....I made a all-aluminum battery charger (kind of like a pressure-washer, with a GM alternator) with it. Worked great.

·
Registered
407 Posts
You will be ok with a smaller unit but eventually regret it. I have a Lincoln 250, Best Birthday present I ever bought myself. You can get a mid sized unit that I think you will be happy with for a long time, get a 170 or so, unless you can spring for a bigger unit, Cycle time are important. That is how many minutes out of 60 that a welder is to be operated. Do your due dilligence before investing. Kinda like a good truck, you know that the 302 will be ok for most stuff, but with the 460 you know you are well covered.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have a miller 130 amp / 110 volt. Does a great job for what I do (exhaust to welding parts for my dad's caterpiller). The nice thing about 110 is that it's portable. I can bring it out to where I need it. Hard to find 220 sometimes.

The 220 will have a longer duty cycle and able to weld larger stuff, just think about what you need to do.

Don't get a flux-core welder, inert gas is the only way to go.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
If you have a 220v outlet in the garage, by all means, get a 220v welder. You'll regret it if you dont.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a linc ST125, it is the 110 unit with the varible volt/amp control. I also have a Miller 225 bobcat with the 16bhp Onan gas engine, for all of the small work, i use the shortarc. for the big stuff i stick it. the miller will support a TIG setup, but i have not gotten around to buying it. Back to the topic buy the bigest unit that you can afford. You will be happier in the end.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a Hobart 135 as well, works great for what you are looking to do. The only difference between the hobart and the miller is the drum the wire sits on, hobart is plastic and miller is aluminum...and one is blue
I also like the seperate purge, don't waste wire purging the bottle.
todd

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys I think I will be going with the 220v Miller...
Thanks for the input

Billy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts