Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have an interesting problem with that I believe is the rear axle on the 66. It has a 9 inch in it now, standard differental. So when I put some power down, the passanger side wheel acts up. It almost felt to me like when you attempt a burn out, but no tire squeel. I want to say wheel hop? It felt like it was bouncing.

I had removed the rear axle when i replaced all the hard brake lines, and replaced the gasket around the pumpkin to stop a leak. I did nothing more than paint it and put it back in.

Can a rear axle be put in wrong? I attempted to level the coil spring mounts thniking that was where they needed to be. Is there an angle that it should be rotated to (pinion angle?)

There was an axle bearing that seemed a bit wonky, but not bad enough to make me feel it needed replaced just yet. How bad does one need to be act up and cause what feels like wheel hop? when the axle is lifted, I can tell there is some play in the bearing, but no klunking.

So what do you all think, as simple as a bad bearing or somthing else?

-coal-

·
Administrator
21,674 Posts
Could it be it is wheel hop as limited slip will only spin one and if you are stepping on it.... Or do you mean you're not stepping on it hard enough to spin the tire but it is acting or feeling like it is?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I am thinking if he has true wheel hop he will know it. Not really for sure tho from your description. Pinion angle is important, but you did nothing that would have changed that, you didnt remove/move around mounts. Make sure all the bushings are still in place, and or replace them with new, is the first place I would start. After checking the fluid level in the rear. Low level will starve the bearings from being lubricated. A dry bearing will usually squeal squawk make lots of noise.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bushings are good. I checked them when I had the axle out. The fluid level is good to, I filled it when I changed the gasket and there is no wet spots indicating a loss of oil.

When I step on it, the wheel feels like it is spinning on gravel, same kind of feel and sound wihtout the stone hitting the wheel well. It shakes a bit too. There is no sound of a bearing that is dry, and it only acts like that when I put some power down. Could it be something in the drive line? It is a 4 speed car, and my first manual car. The U-joints are new too.

I honestly have no idea where to look next, other than that axle bearing. But wouldn't it have to be really bad to get it to act that way?

·
Registered
572 Posts
coal,
you say in your post "axle bearing seemed wonky" but you did not say what side. Driver or Pass.
Next you say you "I attempted to level the coil spring mounts thniking that was where they needed to be" What does that entail? You shimmed something?
Can you have a passenger ride with you and sit in the back to find out (make sure) what side it is coming from and they can give you another perspective on the problem. Next I would check the rubber bushings on the links (bars from frame to tubes) to the rear end. Maybe they are bad?? Jack up the rear and start pulling and pushing on the wheels and the rear from different angles, see if you get any movement. Keep us posted!!!
JIM

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Hi everyone,
Not Yet. Waiting on input from F and mumbles. May require a toke after that...

I have an interesting problem with that I believe is the rear axle on the 66. It has a 9 inch in it now, standard differental. So when I put some power down, the passanger side wheel acts up. It almost felt to me like when you attempt a burn out, but no tire squeel. I want to say wheel hop? It felt like it was bouncing.

I had removed the rear axle when i replaced all the hard brake lines, and replaced the gasket around the pumpkin to stop a leak. I did nothing more than paint it and put it back in.

Can a rear axle be put in wrong? I attempted to level the coil spring mounts thniking that was where they needed to be.
Describe exactly what you tried to do please.

Is there an angle that it should be rotated to (pinion angle?)
Yes...

There was an axle bearing that seemed a bit wonky, but not bad enough to make me feel it needed replaced just yet. How bad does one need to be act up and cause what feels like wheel hop? when the axle is lifted, I can tell there is some play in the bearing, but no klunking.

So what do you all think, as simple as a bad bearing or somthing else?

-coal-
The car is a 1965 model. How many years old is it now? The bearing (and seal) should have been replaced when you had it out.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Coal, you say you removed the rear axle to replace the brake lines, do you mean you replaced the the whole rear end? Because in that case yes you could have screwed up the pinion angle and that would affect the differential. Give a look under there and see if the angle is not right. The way to adjust the angle is by moving the washer under the rear bolt of the upper control arm, but I don't know how, exactly.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi almost everyone! Speaking of which, where are those two? Though for sure one would have said someting.

I have been busy with finals at school so please excuse my lack of promptness in replying.

So first, just to clear things up, I did completely remove the entire rear end from the car when I made the brake lines for the rear end. Since I do not have a lift, or a garage to work on the car in ( the convertiable gets the garage), it seemed the best way to be sure everything was right as far a brake forming.

I removed the control arms at the axle, and looked at the bushings. They are old, but everything is where it should be. I painted, and replace the gasket around the pumpkin, and re-installed the axle.

Now to level the spring mounts, I guess a better way to have stated that would have been: I adjusted the eccentric washer located at the rear of the uppermost control arm until the coil spring mounts on the alxe tube were parallel with the with the coil spring mounts of the chassis. I did that thinking that is how it should be. (Not trying to state it like a jerk, just being as clear as I can be :))

I did not change the bearing because it really did not seem bad at all. Some more play than I would expect, but not shot. The bearing seal ( these bearings are sealed and not greaseable) looked good and clean. I also did not change the oil seal in the axle tube because it was not leaking. Why fix something that is fine? When it leaks, its just a matter of removing the wheel, four axle flange nuts, and pulling the axle out. Maybe a 30 min job if I cannot find the 9/16 inch socket lol.

I have no idea if there is an angle that the yoke on the axle should be at instead of having the spring mounts parallel. I will not have a freind to help me see what is doing on until Saturday.

Till then, what do you all think? Maybe I am hearing things?

-coal-

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
I wonder if in replacing the gasket you put something back together wrong. I have a shop manual and it is freakish about procedures, like scribing the position of the u-joint, asserting the pinion angle, replacing axle oil seals (not really a pumpkin issue), torquing housing bolts and lots of other stuff. Maybe you disregarded one of the rules. Don't know which one would give you the effects you describe, though.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I removed the control arms at the axle, and looked at the bushings. They are old, but everything is where it should be. I painted, and replace the gasket around the pumpkin, and re-installed the axle.

Now to level the spring mounts, I guess a better way to have stated that would have been: I adjusted the eccentric washer located at the rear of the uppermost control arm until the coil spring mounts on the alxe tube were parallel with the with the coil spring mounts of the chassis. I did that thinking that is how it should be. (Not trying to state it like a jerk, just being as clear as I can be :))

I have no idea if there is an angle that the yoke on the axle should be at instead of having the spring mounts parallel. I will not have a freind to help me see what is doing on until Saturday.

Till then, what do you all think? Maybe I am hearing things?

-coal-
That was the pinion angle adjustment. I would have been more concerned with bushing(s) condition as they may look good but move under pressure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts