Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you know if you`ve lost a cam lobe on a new(550 miles) engine.Wouldn`t be a skip by any chance,would it?Going to go thru everything sat.Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Well, I have never had this happen to me, but I would think that your clearance on one or more pushrods, the valve lash, would be much much bigger than the rest?

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
If you've got a dial and stand, then it's easy. Just mount it and turn the motor over. If not, pull the valve cover on the side you think you have the problems. Start the car and let it idle. If it's real bad, you will visually be able to tell if one lobe is going flat. The rocker or rockers will also tap and you'll probably be able to hear a miss out of the tail pipe. Take the car out and rev it up in first gear then let off the accelerator while still in 1st. You'll hear some tapping. I had a friend once describe the noise as being like a machine gun.
If you still question things, you'll have to pull the intake and visually inspect. That's a pain in the keister, but if the cam is bad, you'll need the intake off anyways. Good luck, I feel your pain.
Don't ask me why I know all this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts