Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem after 4000 rpm launch at strip car just died right at the line, started back up and ran fine but did it again next run. It runs okay on the street and ran fine the five runs before, checked float level, it was okay. 6 pounds of fuel pressure. Dont know what to look at now. I seem to think it is fuel related, the carb is a 650 holley dp. Any suggestions ?

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I was going to say (if it was just a HUGE bog), that I'd start with putting on (if it doesn't have them already), jet extensions in the secondary plate.
If it's an actual stall, you gotta find out what you're losing, (i.e. spark/fuel), whatever. Is there any noise, is there any smoke, (dark/black, showing overly rich condition), or no smoke, like really lean, or any combination thereof.
Kind of hit and miss. Could be if you launched hard enough, and you have an 'iffy' connection in your primary ignition system, it's enough to 'shut 'er down' for a moment, and when the 'force'grunt' is gone, it's ok.
Gotta start somewhere..............
Good luck. Have fun.......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only noise I can remember was a thump from under the car I thought it was exhaust like maybe a backfire but not really, it was a sound unfamiliar to me,but seemed to come from under the car as though it was exhaust. I do not have jet extensions but is has never done it before even at 5000 rpm launchs. When I went to start it I did have to hold it to the floor to get it to go again.Can do it all day on the street and no problem, guess we will just have to try again Sunday, put 750 vacuum secondary on to see for sude if it was the 650 causing the problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts