Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got 2 time trials and ran a 12.58 and a 12.55. I decided to dial in a 12.54. My first round it ran a 12.56 and I got the win.

In the second round it slowed down to a 12.69 and I lost by .03 seconds. Curses, LOL. I can't seem to get past a first round win. I would have won the second heat but my motor got hot waiting to run. The battery was way low because I had forgot to charge it up at home. I started jumping it over to my truck to try and get it charged but they called the second round too quick on me. Is it typical for an MSD equiped car to run hot with a low battery? I've had this a couple of times and it ran hot both times.

After I got the battery charged back up I got a test run and it picked back up to a 12.55. I need a lot more practice and a bit better reaction time but at least my car is running pretty consistent.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
If you are going to do much bracket racing, you'll need to invest in a electric fan and water pump. Running these at the same time with the engine off will bring down the temp quick! Having the battery hooked up to a good (powerful) battery charger keeps it fully charged.

I don't have a generator, so I use the ranger (running) and a set of jumper cables as my battery charger while it's cooling down.

When using an electric water pump (I use the Moroso external motor hooked to the factory pump) it helps to remove the thermostat. This way, it doesn't close once the temp goes down to 160 or 180 (thermostat rating) and shut off the water. I cool my engine down to room temperature. It creates less restriction, and lets the pump work more efficiently. (those external pumps aren't that powerful) I also use the overdrive pully.

A fully charged battery puts very little load on the alternator, while a dead one makes the alternator charge 100%, which takes a lot of power... and slows the car down. For the car to be dead consistent, the battery needs to be fully charged every run.

p.s. PUT SOME SUPER COMP HEADERS ON THAT THING!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Hottarod: I agree with Mike about the electric water pump and fan.However if you are not running an alternator you should. The power to run an alternator even if the battery is low on charge is next to nothing.You wll notice more consistent times if the battery is kept at a constant voltage via an alternator.

At least you got out to the track even if you went out 2nd round. I was 1st round runner-up last week. Hah.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Just Jim on 4/28/02 8:06am ]</font>

·
Registered
777 Posts
The alternator is an almost must ahve for a bracket car these days (at least in my opinion). I run one on my low 10 second car. I also run the electric water pump drive and electric fan to cool motor between rounds.

Practice and staying calm is the key to being able to go rounds. When I first started I used to get all pumped up each round I won, now, the only time I let it get to me is if I beat someone extra tough, or after the finals. If you get too excited, it becomes difficult to be consistent at the tree, and that is a very important place on teh track (but you already knew that). Last week, I was doing fine till the finals, where a .4937 ruined my day.
After a .5174, .5122 and a .5128 I rolled .005 out of the box to shoot for a high .50? something and accidently I rolled in too deep. Oh well, thats racing.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
In case there was any confusion, my car DOES have an alternator... as a matter of fact, it's a one wire 100amp unit that looks just like the stocker.

I STILL use the truck and jumper cables to keep the battery up between rounds so it's always up 100%. The battery WILL get weak running the fan a pump between rounds over and over again if you don't keep it up. Again, I cool mine down to ambient temperature.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Mike, I thought your car had an alternator.

I cool mine down to 160 or so, and try to stage around 170. Even though it is on alcohol now, I still tried to stage the car around 170 when it was on gas. I always figured it's a whole bunch easier to get the motor "down" to a 160 degrees or so if the rounds start getting real close together than trying to cool it down till the guage bottoms out.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Using that temperature is a good idea for bracket racing... I'm just not really into it. It's kind of tough going too many rounds running a stickshift nitrous car.

However, at the rare Ford race, I usually do fairly well in the 'Nostalgia' class. If I'm on, regular 0.530 lights and semi-decent et predictions have gotten me down to the semi's out of 150-160 cars before... I won $50 once at the Norwalk Fun Ford race.

I usually just go to test-n-tune sessions to get the maximum number of runs in... However, traction isn't usually that great (local tracks don't usually treat the track much for TNT) but it's fun. If a 'record' run is in the plans, I've got to pay the big bucks and go to a Fun Ford race and be there EARLY, or shelve out the dough for 3-4 runs on the regular 'bracket' day.

Street driving is the most fun... Smoking the tires sideways around slow speed turns and big long smokey 2nd gear burnouts are always GREAT stress relievers. Of course, the occasional blast of nitrous, combined with radials and WV crooked roads will also take one's mind off anything that happens to be stressing a person out. Ya' just better be awake!

Good Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts