Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fxjr. got great news today. He's been chosen for an internship at one of the major car dealerships in town as auto technician. This is a great opportunity for him as only 4 kids out the entire auto tech system get to do this. To celebrate, we went out to some of the dealerships to see what kinda neat cars they've got on the lot. Our first stop was at a Dodge dealership and got to see a Viper GTS Coupe ACR. Sweet, but not 90K sweet!!
We also took in a couple of flamed Pt Cruisers and a new PT Woody. I'll pass again. The 300M Special was kinda sharp, but starting to look a little dated. We left there and checked out the local Infinity/Nissan/Hyundai/Buick dealer. The new Tiburons are a pretty neat piece, especially for the buck, though kinda "ricery". That 10 year warranty rocks, though. Fxjr was pretty set on us lookin' at the new Infinity G35: Rear drive, 260 Horse, sports sedan. Sales guy was real cool. We went for a test drive and the car felt like it was carved from a piece of granite. Solid, quick, steered and handled great. Tons of really cool features, too. Price? Between $28,500 and $33,000 for the ones they had on the lot. I came away VERY impressed. Drove on down to the Mercedes/Jaguar dealership. New X-type Jags are bumping 40K (though they're touted as a 30K luxury car). Came across looking like a "Jaguarized" Contour to me..(can you say Cadillac Cimmaron??) The S types are cooler, but WAY up near 50K. NONE of these cars came even close to the 30K ricer. We didn't even bother going to the Ford dealer. What was I gonna look at? $35K trucks?? Mustangs based on a 25 year old chassis? Focus SVT is cool, but I'm way too old for that. I'll pass. Man, I sure hope the Mustang redesign and the "49"/Fairlane get here soon. I'd hate to have to confess on this board I drive an Infiniti...

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Congrats, to fxjr. I actually went and test drove a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500, shortbox, quad cab, 4wd, Cummins Turbo Diesel and 6 speed manual. It was a lot of fun to drive. The turbo would spool up at 2k and would put you back in the seat. Without realising it, I got it up to 90mph. It sure did not feel like it. They wanted 32k and the truck had 27k miles on it. I probally would of bought it if I had the money but oh well.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
The infiniti is a Nissan Maxima derivative. If you want a 'base' infiniti, test drive the new Maxima, it's nice.
I (well, the wife) has a 98', and it's a great car.

There's even a Nissan Maxima website... Yes, there is a little bit of rice there, but plenty of good info as well.

http://www.maxima.org

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Some schools got there stuff together for shops. The hole I just got out of didnt do that. Theres a school in the north part of our county that is at one of the highest levels of national certification and has the abridged school day for work program at local shops. Our shop was pretty much a collection of bums and hoodlums but we were able to make do with the limited amount of tools we had left.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On 2002-05-21 22:45, n2omike wrote:
The infiniti is a Nissan Maxima derivative. If you want a 'base' infiniti, test drive the new Maxima, it's nice.
The new G35 is not Maxima derived. It's rear drive and uses the same chassis/suspension slated for the 350Z due out this fall. It does use the Maxima derived engine which is probably one of the nicest v6's on the planet. I can't be doing too much of this lot cruisin' as I'm gonna get new car fever in a hurry!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts