Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I recently picked up a 1966 Ford Custom 500 and am in the process of restoring it. I'm somewhat new to car repair so I'm learning as I go so bear with me. Every time I come to a stop I can hear a loud clunk sound come from the rear of the car, driver side I believe. Initially I thought it was the drum brakes in the back but after taking things apart the brakes actually look like they're in really good shape. I'm still going to do a rebuild, new hardware, resurface drums, and replace wheel cylinder but was wondering if that doesn't turn out to be the problem what else could cause this? It only happens when applying the brakes to slow down at like a stop sign. It does not clunk when applying the brakes to slow down at higher speeds. I should also note that as I was taking apart the brake on the driver side I noticed a ton of gunk and grease built up behind the backing plate. It was all caked in the ridges of the rear of the backing plate. When I looked behind the passenger side of the backing plate it looked totally clean. I'm assuming this could also be the cause? What would this be? Thank you for any tips.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Check ujoints and axle bearings.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
You had grease and gunk on the back of the rear backing plate? Sounds like an old bad brake line leak, or maybe grease from the front of the car... Nothing back there but the U-joint that gets grease....

Maybe your clunk is in your trunk... LOL Or better yet, your rear shackle and spring bushings are gone to the crapper....

·
Registered
330 Posts
Im in with FE on this one. My "rear clunk" got worse with more people (weight) in the back seat. Turns out the bushings of the rear springs were shot and when loaded up and braking, the shackle would clunk around in the mount. I replaced the bushings and had the springs re-sprung.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
This being a 66, I assume it is a coil spring rear suspension? If so the car will tend to raise up in the rear when braking so I would start by looking at the rear shock bushings then the lower and upper control arm bushings.

Scott...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts