Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to notice there have been a few threads popping up pertaining to the 69-70 Galaxies. Its really good to see, I know these have not been the "prefered" year of Galaxies to restore but they do seem to be gaining intrest. Thought I would start a thread for all the 69-70 year guys to post up pictures or just say "I love these years"

We are working on a 69 XL at the moment, lots of plans for it and progress being made.
Rough start pics.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Looks like a fun project, I'm a fan of getting any of our beloved Galaxies back on the road.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
I'm up to my ears on my 70 at the moment. I love the lines on the Sportsroof, especially around the rear roof line and over the rear wheels. The hidden headlights are another one of my weaknesses, altho I question Fords reasoning for using the vacuum vs electric motor to open and close the covers lol.

I just received the shop manuals on cd I got from ebay, and I'd recommend them to anyone doing a restoration. Soooooo much information that unless you have a set of these, you're gonna beat your head against the wall trying to figure out how something comes apart or goes back together.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I've always liked them. My Father had a 69 Meteor S-33 (Canadian only car) Like a Monterey but it had the Ford XL interior and saddle shift. Loved that car.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've always been a fan of the full sized Fords and Mercurys from 1969 and 1970. I have a '69 Marquis convertible that I bought in FL and brought to Virginia in 2001. It's a fun car to drive but feeding the 429 makes for an expensive drive nowadays!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
Here's my '70 I have had since 1988. It's been through various matt black paint scemes since it's original white.

Here it is with the wheels it's been wearing for nearly 20 years.

A few years back I fitted new wheels.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I've always been a fan of the full sized Fords and Mercurys from 1969 and 1970. I have a '69 Marquis convertible that I bought in FL and brought to Virginia in 2001. It's a fun car to drive but feeding the 429 makes for an expensive drive nowadays!
Another favourite of mine along with the Marauder

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
maybe just because it was my first car, but I dont think so...my parents got our 69 gal when I was 8, I loved it from day1. the coolest dashboard EVER(except for the stupid lefthand radio), had the cool rimblow 3 spoke steering wheel, but best of all a silky smooth 429-4v bigblock under the hood.

I blacked out the grille bars(galaxie- not XL), had big plans for the poor rusty old thing when I was 16, but wrecked it 3 weeks into my license. rebuilt the motor after scrapping the car, test ran it, its still sitting in the garage 32 yrs later... still 'plan' on putting it in my mustang 'someday'.

the rear quarter panel arch was a nice styling line, I had planned on a black fading stripe from the arch rearward with '429' lettering at the rear... funny, I was digging thru the garage last year and found the pencil sketch I made when I was 16 of it- was folded up in the console I had in my old elcamino. the plain old galaxie grille with the blackout except for the center/outline ribs looked pretty sinister. I still half dream of finding another 69 gal hardtop someday- even bought a set of 429 side markers a few years back for one. they were cool cars, and that interior in black vinyl bench was gorgeous.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Here's my '70 I have had since 1988. It's been through various matt black paint scemes since it's original white.

Here it is with the wheels it's been wearing for nearly 20 years.

A few years back I fitted new wheels.

Love the roof line and the way it goes toward the trunk. Do you know how much it weighs? I have always read that the '64 Gal was the heavyest Gal but that sure looks heavier than my '64. Bet it rides good!:)

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
I don't know what they weigh, but all I can tell you it is a lot harder to push than my '63. :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
well here's my 69. not very impressive looking at the moment but it is in better shape than it looks. undercarriage and interiorof of all panels are rust treated and coated. both complete rear quarters imported from utah. she's slated for spring 2013 hopefully sooner. 429 going up to 500+cu and some other drive train work. gotta figure something out on tire size it's a tight fit in the back wells.

hope the pics load if not i'll try again later.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
I weighed mine some years back and IIRC, it was in the 4,100 to 4,200lb range. I agree...they aren't the easiest to push. Lol

·
Registered
83 Posts
I weighed my '69 several years ago: 4920#, with a quarter tank of gas and no passengers or junk in the trunk!

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
It's good to see these models gaining popularity. They are a bargain to get into as far as collector cars go. I believe they will appreciate and become more sought after as the early 60's models get harder and harder to find.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's good to see these models gaining popularity. They are a bargain to get into as far as collector cars go. I believe they will appreciate and become more sought after as the early 60's models get harder and harder to find.

You are right the cars are a bargain, its the parts that are high. There are so many parts for this car that are not availible for a reproduction so finding good 43 year old parts can be a tough deal. Then when you find good parts they want a arme and a leg for them. Thats why I bought 3 of these cars, you can get a complete car for less than parts.

I really hope as they gain popularity they will start to make more reproduction parts, I could sure use a dash pad.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
You are right the cars are a bargain, its the parts that are high. There are so many parts for this car that are not availible for a reproduction so finding good 43 year old parts can be a tough deal. Then when you find good parts they want a arme and a leg for them. Thats why I bought 3 of these cars, you can get a complete car for less than parts.

I really hope as they gain popularity they will start to make more reproduction parts, I could sure use a dash pad.
The dash pads all cracked in the same place..from the speaker grill down the front. Someone here done a tech article on a cracked dash repair using Bondo and sanding. It came out very nice. I have a couple extra pads that I'm going to experiment with. I read another article somewhere about stripping off all the old padding and covering it with sprayfoam insulation (Greatstuff). Then, using an old electric knife, shape the foam to the original contours, smooth with Bondo, and cover with vinyl.

·
Registered
440 Posts
using bondo is just going to crack again. use fiberglass

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I weighed my '69 several years ago: 4920#, with a quarter tank of gas and no passengers or junk in the trunk!

This number has been bothering me, since I havnt had time to get to the scales I did a little searching. From what I can find on the internet the cars weigh 4050-4150lbs, I didnt search for weight based on motor options but I would think the varience is in there.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts