Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings! I'm having problems with my cluth pedal. Although the engine/transmission/pressure plate and clutch are all fairly "new" (less than 10,000 very easy miles), the amount of "pedal" available has dropped to just a couple of inches off of the floorboard. It's a 63 galaxie that was originally a "3-on-the-tree" 390 hardtop that has been converted to a toploader 4-speed with a hurst shifter.

I adjusted the clutch rod last weekend and extended it as far as it would go. That provided a bit of temporary relief, but yesterday I noticed that it was "loose" once again and I'm right back to where I was when I started, with little clutch to work with. It's become very difficult to change gears, and it almost won't go into reverse at all.

So, I was wondering what the problem could be. The clutch pedal itself seem fine, with no sideways play or anything. The clutch rod looks OK to me as well. Perhaps I didn't tighten it up enough after my adjustment last weekend. Any thoughts? I hate not being able to drive the old girl during the last few days of the season...

Bill

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Yeah sounds like some twisting up with the Z-Bar, check it and make sure its still square and not bending, there are several ways to deal with weakened/tweeked bars....

·
Registered
960 Posts
Do you have the original 3 fingered pressure plate or a diaphram style,they claim the diaphram style is easier to push in but I have one in my 65 and its much harder. If you have a diaphram it might be putting too much pressure on something,a friend had a diaphram in his 64 and it wrecked havoc with his clutch linkage which got repaired when it went back to the original style.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys,

Thank you one and all... I took the galaxie to the local transmission shop last week and as predicted by FE and others, the z-bar was cracked on one end. They were able to weld it back together for me and the clutch now feels normal. Thank you once again for the good, spot-on advice.

Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts