Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took 429 out today for test run-it was awesome-tranny may need some adjustment. Had 60 lbs of oil pressure at start-up but dropped to 15-20 after engine was hot. Running Mobil One 10w-30. any suggestions guys? Regular oil pump (new) and manual gauge. Thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hot idle 15-20-really didn't notice the one time I had it to 50-maybe a little higher-25-30? Will pay more attention thurs.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Talked to some gearheads today-they seem to think its OK at 15-20 hot idle as long as it goes up on accel. Maybe a high volume next time the pan is off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
M1 is pretty thin. Dropping pressure is pretty much standard fair when using M1. Just up the viscosity to 40W or try a good dino like Havoline (has good dose of Moly). That solved my low pressure on my small block.

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
back in the early 80's I put a 396 chevy in my 81 Dodge pickup(429 wouldnt fit), it had 15psi hot idle pressure, and it was my daily driver for almost 10 years. my pressure was down because I'd 'rebuilt' it in high school(read- POOR as dirt) and just put bearings in with a crank worn to the point it shoulda been reground...still, 50,000 miles later it still ran good when I tore it down...it will get the crank reworked before I ever put it together again. I think 10w30 would be kinda thin for oldschool motor- unless you had tolerances tightened up a bunch. If its a summertime ride, just run 20w50 and it should bring it up quite a bit.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ford4v429 on 7/10/06 12:33am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
my 460 hauler runs 42psi HOT with 15w-50 mobil 1,meling HV pump and factory spec clearances............429,460 never were known for their oil pres!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Need a thicker oil period! That 10-30 is made for these tinkertoy engines and the oil is designed as "Energy Conserving" meaning thin as sh-t. Use 15-40 for winter and 20 - 50 for summer unless you live in an arctic area then you could use the 10-30 for the winter. Just drain it and save it for then. Synthetics are great if you have a high heat or fast reving engine, for the big block engine just use a decent Dino oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts