Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
how was the powershifting??

1964 Comet 289 C4 daily driver
TFS TW, Weiand Stealth, Comp XE268, Rhodes lifters, TFS roller rockers, Carter 625 AFB, Hooker SuperComps
"These go to 11." -This is Spinal Tap

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dragman64 on 3/17/02 6:45am ]</font>

·
Registered
553 Posts
On 2002-03-17 16:03, Greg Cook wrote:
Well, it will be a one time only deal!

I don't want to put a roll bar in the car, so I'll just have to make one Banzai pass on a test and tune day, then they'll give me the boot!

I really don't want this to be race car, just a mega torque road machine. It still handles reasonably well, even though it's a little nose heavy. Street/Highway runner.

Now, about that old 460 ,there's a certain "Polar" character who thinks he wants it for his 68 Mustang Coupe!

Hammer
I don't think, I know!! that is of course if the opportunity presents itself!

Unfortunately or fortunately
? The BB Fever is slowly taken a hold of me
I don't want to be the little block on the block for ww 2003

Oh before I forget that's a "FASTBACK" not a Coupe, I'll help you learn the difference starting with the r/e shot

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Polar68 on 3/19/02 11:52am ]</font>

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
On 2002-03-18 23:45, Polar68 wrote:

The BB Fever is slowly taken a hold of me
I don't want to be the little block on the block for ww 2003
Looks like me and Chilly have to be the "Defenders" of the small blocks capability?

We can do it!

65 Falcon Sprint Super-Stock Replica
66 Galaxie 500-XL 428 4-speed
91 Mustang GT 5.0 5-speed
95 F-350 XLT Super-Cab DRW 460- Tow Vehical
Performance Legend Supercars-West Allis Wis.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DynoTom on 3/19/02 10:16pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Just think about it Dyno Tom. 800HP mild streetable 557 under your hood at about 300lbs more while idling like an 11 second car. That's what got me. Look how mild Gregs 557 is and how it can cruise all day with no problems because it's soo mild. Small cam, heads with little port work, flat top pistons, stock 9375 Dominator, basic Victor 460 intake(unported), stock block, cast crank, etc. and it's not near peak potential from that engine. Imagine that engine with some good port work to heads and intake, a little larger cam, bigger headers, bigger carb, heads milled .030-.050", and a light car. The heads are the restriction right now but even with the heads the way they are, it's still a mild 557 with only 6800RPM shift points and an unintimidating idle that says "Please don't out run me too bad" but performance that rocks. Even with all the HP making neat stuff available for the 351W strokers, I still switched to big block Fords as primary power. There's a reason..... No doubt your Falcon will run hard with the 408 but 150 more cubic inches for basically the same price as a 408 kit and heads that cost about the same but flow tons more really makes you think things over. Keep your Falcon the way it is with the 408 and build something else with a 557 and you'll be envied by all(including me). A '67 or '69 Mustang Fastback with some back half work and the same mods done up front as with the Falcon. Maybe a Spoiler instead with a 557. Using the FRPP 460 block with 4.62 bore and the 4.5" stroke will give you 604.8 CID and more power than you can harness
I like the Windsors, I just want to go faster/quicker for the same money.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
On 2002-03-19 13:00, chilly 460 wrote
Their is a psychoanalytical theory that a man will try to compensate for his own inadequacies in certain anatomy by building large ostentatious creations (557ci
), considering the three participants creating this big block ballyhoo I'd suspect there is some merit to this argument....

Now, a guy building a truck with 38" tires standing over 7' tall, he just wants to drive in the mud

[/quote]

Hey Chilly, you could be onto something there?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yes, I think chilly is on to something. It is so much cooler to waste someone with a big motor with a SMALLER motor. I myself really enjoy wasting guys with 350's in my SVO with a LITTLE 2.3 4cyl. You aught to see their jaw drop when you show them you smoked em with only a 4cyl!
They just can't believe it.

Oh yea, big tires, deep mud; lots of fun. It's rained here the past couple of days. Think I might have to go thrash on the truck tonight!!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Their is a psychoanalytical theory that a man will try to compensate for his own inadequacies in certain anatomy by building large ostentatious creations (557ci
), considering the three participants creating this big block ballyhoo I'd suspect there is some merit to this argument....

Now, a guy building a truck with 38" tires standing over 7' tall, he just wants to drive in the mud

SigmundChilly now is it? You seem to have a indepth personal knowledge of this "theory"
To much hands on experience I suspect?
But then you call me a traitor
How hurtful
(refer to Greg's earlier post)

In reality you folks are forgetting about the exchange rate. Up here anything 400 cubes and above is considered a "Big Block"

Chilly how is that Bodywork/Susp goin?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts