Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Lower Control Arm

4K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  KULTULZ 
#1 ·
hey guys im having trouble removing my lower control arms on my 67 fairlane. both sides wont budge. is there something im missing in the removal of these bolts? or is it normaly easly?

the fixed lower ball joints have gone bad. wont pass inspection.

thanks

(not my actual car)

See less See more
#16 ·
you do with mine, even if i removed the ball joint with above methods. they do not make lower ball joints that dont come attached to a lower control arm... that ive been able to find. upper control arm was easy 3 bolts and bam! its swopped.

#5 ·
Lol that was why i was wanting to know which end he was referring to, but my response was going to be a fork and BFH if it was the ball joint end.....
Hope he cleaned the crud off and removed the nut and cotter key:eek:

#7 ·
They are almost ALWAYS rusted to the inner sleeve of the bushing. WD or panther piss or PB blast the berjeezus out of it all the while cranking on the bolt to see if you can break it free of the grip of the sleeve.

Last resort is to cut off head and tail of bolt and wiggle LCA out then press bushing out later.

Put the Nut back on, set a punch to the bolt and drive it in with a BFH. If that fails think to the above.

Last ditch effort is smelly but might work is superheat the bolt head and tail several times, then let cool, then superheat again. That should burn off the rust from the shaft in the sleeve enough that you can drive it out.

Remember that if you cannot get a line on the bolt with a hammer that a good socket and extension with a universal joint allows you to hit around corners....

#13 ·
They do in PA.

#11 ·
Yes Dan I know it does, but the jarring of the impact may break the crud lose. Let it hit a few times one dirrection, then reverse, etc. Back n forth....

#15 · (Edited)
cool thanks guys, didnt think about my impact.

Im marking the camber position of my lower control arm with chalk, does anyone know if this works to save yourself from getting an alignment once the job is done?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.