Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to give my 65 a new stance....I want it to be a cool handling street car, maybe a trip to the track once a year, not much. Does anyone have any pics of their cars lowered and how much they lowered compared to stock??

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I dont have a picture of my 66 lowered because I just ordered them 2 days ago

But I went with the recommendations I got here and called Eaton Detroit springs, I gave them the specs of what my car has (or will have) and they selected the right spring for me

I went with a 1" drop due to me wanting to use 18" wheels in the front (which is also due to BIG brake upgrade)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, did you go 1" all the way around?

I am asking because now how my car sits, the front is higher than the rear and I am wondering if I need a bigger drop in front than in back??

·
Registered
64 Posts
Here is my car 5 months ago when I started to restore it...you can see the OEM height was pretty low for the 20" wheels the previous owner had

Now, deducting 1" from this height should be enough for me, nice stance but not too low
I could have gone 2" inches, but was afraid of rubbing

As for the rears, I havent got to that part of the restoration, but might stick to just 1/2 inch drop or 1"

Eaton Detroit can do 1-2 inches in the front but just 1/2 in the rears....
Dearborn classics have these which are custom, and can go from 2-3 inches depending on your liking
1965-1972 Galaxie Custom Rear Coil Springs 2-3 Inch Drop - Ford Parts

Personally, I like the front to be lower than the back.....I would do measurements first, to make sure everything will clear your wheels, etc
Then, visualize how your choice in drop will affect the look of the car

·
Registered
260 Posts
Here is my car 5 months ago when I started to restore it...you can see the OEM height was pretty low for the 20" wheels the previous owner had

Now, deducting 1" from this height should be enough for me, nice stance but not too low
I could have gone 2" inches, but was afraid of rubbing

As for the rears, I havent got to that part of the restoration, but might stick to just 1/2 inch drop or 1"

Eaton Detroit can do 1-2 inches in the front but just 1/2 in the rears....
Dearborn classics have these which are custom, and can go from 2-3 inches depending on your liking
1965-1972 Galaxie Custom Rear Coil Springs 2-3 Inch Drop - Ford Parts

Personally, I like the front to be lower than the back.....I would do measurements first, to make sure everything will clear your wheels, etc
Then, visualize how your choice in drop will affect the look of the car
eaton has springs that go 2" under stock for the rear. ( i have them on my 66. )

I'm running a 255/35r18 front and a 275/35/r20 rear nitto nt555 tire. I have zero rub dropped 2 inches front and rear. I wish i would have been able to afford custom backspaced wheels as with the right backspacing, I think i could have went a little wider.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is the car, you can see how low it seems in the back with stock springs and how high in the front. I don't know if the back is just low because time has caused this, or if that is the stock rear. I don't want to go 1 inch in the back and 2 in front and have it have the same stance because it just lowered it overall and then the front will remain the same as before in relation to the rear.....if that makes sense, ha...i would just like the front to be lower than the rear...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts