Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of 2 inch lowering blocks from Summit for my 65 merc cyclone. I started to install them and found the pin on the block was a little too large to seat into the lower bracket/shock mount on my car. I have a 9 inch rear end from a 57-59 car installed. I plan to do this job again soon. The question is, should I grind down the aluminum pin or drill a larger hole in the lower bracket? (the amount is very small) I'm leaning towards drilling the lower bracket but I'd hate to ruin a part this old (and one I probably can't replace)?

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I'd work the aluminum block, you might want to change it back at some point then what would you do?

·
Registered
379 Posts
That was my other concern. Thanks
I agree with working on the aluminum. The locating pin will keep it from shifting about before you clamp it down. Besides, after you torque everything... where's the block going to go?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I installed the lowering blocks in December. The ride height is where I want it to be. I haven't been able to drive the car because the chrome shop that is doing the tail light housings is having serious problems getting them right.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Just a heads up.... I have heard (no actual experience myself) that lowering blocks are hard on the leaf springs.

Something about the increased leverage the axle can now exert on the spring when accelerating hard, or on hard braking.

The axle now has a longer "arm" and can put a harder "twist" on the spring.

Maybe something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a heads up.... I have heard (no actual experience myself) that lowering blocks are hard on the leaf springs.

Something about the increased leverage the axle can now exert on the spring when accelerating hard, or on hard braking.

The axle now has a longer "arm" and can put a harder "twist" on the spring.

Maybe something to keep in mind.
Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought a set of 2 inch lowering blocks from Summit for my 65 merc cyclone. I started to install them and found the pin on the block was a little too large to seat into the lower bracket/shock mount on my car. I have a 9 inch rear end from a 57-59 car installed. I plan to do this job again soon. The question is, should I grind down the aluminum pin or drill a larger hole in the lower bracket? (the amount is very small) I'm leaning towards drilling the lower bracket but I'd hate to ruin a part this old (and one I probably can't replace)?

Thanks,

Bill
Update to the thread. I was able to drive the car for the first time since I installed the lowering blocks. I made a slow right hand turn on the neighborhood and heard the right rear tire rubbing on the body. Went home and took a look. The right side tire only has a 1/4 gap at the front of the fender well. The left side has a 1/2 gap.

The tires are 275/r1570 redlines. I don't know why the gap is different from side to side. I don't think the car has ever been in an accident that could have twisted the body.

It seems I can solve this in a few different ways, smaller tires, take the lowering blocks off or install a one inch drop, have the pin in the leaf spring position back an inch. I installed the leaf springs a little over a year ago, new from Eaton. I like the look of the car better when it's level versus the way it used to sit with the back of car higher in the air.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance. I appreciate the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts