Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to lower the front of my 68 to get a rake as I am staying classic period correct how I would have done it back then. I plan to cut one coil on the front however a friend says its gonna drop too much and I should only go a half. Does anyone know how much of a drop one coil will get? I figured 2 inches?

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
As a general rule, whatever you remove at the coil will be approx double that at the wheel. But the measurement you make at the coil must be under load of the weight of the car.

·
Registered
480 Posts
It really depends on your spring rate. I have a 66 4 dr with small block springs. I cut 1 coil and it lowered the car the equal amount of 1 unsprung coil (the amount of spring I cut off) + ~3/4". Basically a total of about 2.75". I would expect the same with yours. You might want to have a spare set lined up just in case you don't like it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info do you have any pics of before or after or both? Would love to see it so I know just how low it will get. For right now I was planning a half coil after reading Dan's statement. However I have another 68 currently and can also get springs pretty easy for $100.

·
Registered
62 Posts
bugger. I didnt know about that half thing. I just measured the spring as it was sitting and it looked like 1 coil (approx 25mm) so i went half again to allow for people and fuel and did that. only did one side so far. I may need a spacer, crap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts