Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,
I think about lower the upper control arm .
I dont know what will change when I do that to my 67 stang.
Could you give me some informations about?
I want to prepare the stang for street-racing.
Now my wheel/tire is closed to the fenders(have a minimum clearance and no scratching).

·
Registered
291 Posts
Im the guy you want to talk to, ive done it, and still have mine set up this way. I used pro engineering(i think), used it on myb 68 with a 351c and now with a 545 bbf in it. I drag race now, but still keep it in place.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would you do that only for a drag- car or is that also good for street racer ?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I lowered thr 68 Fairlane with http://www.themustangshop.com
lowering template, in the how-to link. I lowers the upper arms 1 inch, and gives a template, instuctions and alignment specs. And will cost you only the price of a drill bit and time. check it out. It made my car handle alot better and will do it again for any Ford I own. The Fairlane is a street car and handles awesome, go for it.

Rick

68 Fairlane/70 Cougar

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dark7068 on 1/23/02 2:03am ]</font>

·
Registered
122 Posts
Lowering the upper a-arm an inch wll lower the front end about 0.5 - 1.0 inch. If you're racing straight ahead I'm not sure of what it buys you. However if you want better handling inturns, it is one of the best mods you can make. It changes the suspension geometry so that the outside tire remains more vertical. (stock suspensions leave the outside tire with positive camber reducing the tire contact patch area)

But, more importantly, the car looks much better lowered.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yea, I have 1 inch lowered front springs.
when the car is lift infront the wheels went more to the inner side, so when you let it down, the wheel went to the fenders (outer side).
What will happend when I change by lowering the control-arm ?
Ok , the car will be 1/2 to 1 inch lower,
but will I win or loose some clearance to the fenders?

·
Registered
7,472 Posts
All else being equal, it HELPS with fender clearance. It helps keep the top of the tire from angling out when the suspension is compressed.

Here's a great site for general early mustang mods...

http://www.geocities.com/mustangsteve66/

Here's a company that sells the wedges that allow the control arm to be lowered significantly -without- it the balljoint being put into a bind. These are "negative wedge" spacers, and are a good addition. There's some other cool stuff here as well.

http://www.sacramento-mustang.com/sm/catalog/susp.pdf

There's a site that has a downloadable template that can be printed... that shows where to drill the new holes when lowering the upper control arms, but I can't find it right now. I -did- print it out, but the web address isn't on it. sorry... Maybe someone else knows where to find it.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks dark and nO2mike,
the information about wining clearance is that I want to read !
I will go next weekend an do the lowering.
I am waiting for my oilpan to complete my 351 W . I cant waiting for because I want to know the difference power I will get.
The 289 before the engine swap was tired and this 351 was last year rebuild and has to be in a good shape. .... and then there are a few more cubes .....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts