Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is going agaisnt the grain but ... has anyone done a LS engine transplant into a '64 Fairlane? I've seen tons in mustangs, rx7's & mazda miatas but I'm looking for some info on the '64 Fairlane.

Anyone??

6T4 Bolt

·
Registered
47 Posts
My only advice is if that if you want an LS motor, buy an old Chevy to put it in. I hate to be the ******* here, but someone has to. Don't expect me to help you ruin a Fairlane.

Buy an old Chevy II or something. I'd rather see that than a half breed Fairlane.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
If you want to see what the next generation of Ford small blocks would have been like, look at the LSx series. They look like a GM engineer took a SBF and simply sprinkled a bit of newer technology in it and hoped no one would notice. Seriously. That is one of the reasons I like them. If you want to pizzoff a Chevy guy, just show him how his engine is a revamped Ford design.
:D
David

PS: No I have no swap info, but there are many examples to follow, including dimensional listings and ways others have done it if even if a different chassis. Good luck!

Tell me it's not:

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
I like it David!! LOL

There are some guys on Pro-touring.com putting Ls motors in the early Mustangs.
You may be able to get some info over there.

Jet

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey 68stang351 - I appreciate your thoughts but if I remember right ... that's what hot rodd'n is all about.

I guess you're a bit miffed at the guy that cut up the other '64 I recently bought as a tube chassis car project. It was set up for a BBC/lenco-bruno best I can tell. I gues I should be scolded for waking it from the PO's garage where it had been napping the last couple years (since 1994).

I've actually had 3 '66 chevy II's (chasiss cars no less) that I set up for BBC & stick.

Your probably pissed at all those GM & other makes that run 9" rears. Me too! I hope you don't have any "aftermarket" parts on your car either - that would be very rude & un ford like.

None of the cars I've cut on are "special" factory performance cars but I did buy a '64 falcon sprint that the factory engine was changed out for some ... holman-moody engine. I was pissed at that!

Bottom line is that your happy with your cut up car as that engine, if memory serves me correct, wasn't introduced till 1969 (?) my idea is I want 500 hp the eazy way & also be able to knock down 20 mpg's.

Sure I could blast a 347 into the engine bay but only after cutting the cars shock towers up for decent exhaust clearance. But I would be keeping it ford as YOU would like. I don't think I'd be daily driving it though.

If I could afford a shotgun Kasse engine that would be my choice ... even a '64 date coded 427 but guess what ... they don't make them any more & I'll need a tanker truck to follow me down the road ... and if ... if I slide a LS engine between the fenders .... don't look and I probably wasn't looking for your help anyway.

All goofing aside ... my little 289 has developed some problems (someone had already removed the factory 260 - OUCH & I'd like to update to something A. affordable, B. reliable, C. easy to tune & streetable & D. wallet friendly. The LX is a good "option".

As to the others that replied - the ford LX looks damb close to the gm stuff ... like real close and I will check the pro touring guys out.

6T4 Bolt

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
How did this guy get past security? :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
If you want a Chevy motor get a Chevy car.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haters ... I love them.

Anyone want to purchase my 1964 to prevent me from updating - I didn't think so. pm me if you do. I've got 2 of them.

I personally am open to all view points negitive or not but ... it's hot rodding & it's mine.

If I was looking for opinions I would have added a "pole - who thinks i should do this" but I didn't. Get a grip.

Again - Thanks for the info from the folks that actually understand that maybe ... just maybe there is an alternative.

6T4 Bolt

·
Registered
734 Posts
hmmm i think u should buy a chevy and put a ford motor in it. yeah also a T5 and 9" rearend. what? sounds crazy?

thats cause it is.

only chevy guys buy fords and try to justify it by putting a chevy motor in it. then call it a hotrod.

it would be a whole lot easier and cheaper to buy or build an engine of your choice to the specs of a LS-1

·
Registered
688 Posts
Its your car do with it as you like but you will get grief for it around here..Since you seem to have fab skills it should be an easy swap. Me thinks you may have posted this jus to stir up the purest crowd..
Post up some pictures as you go ...

·
Registered
415 Posts
I was so against the xbreeding thing too but I've seen enough LS's and Hemi's in things they didn't come in. My Tahoe's 5.3 has some guts and a friend made 1100rwhp in one stock block and rods with E85 and a turbo. They are good engines. LS1.com is a great place to get info on the idea. My brother and his friend just finished a 64 Impala with a 5.3 in it and a carb. Looked great and sounded awesome. Best of luck.

Honestly, if anyone here had a Hemi sitting in their garage, I think a big bodied Ford is what you'd put it in. No one company,(even Ford) did it perfect everytime. The LS platform is becoming readily available. I'm seeing them in more and more Fords at the Goodguys shows. Hell, I've seen even a Ford V10 in a Plymouth and a Stude! I'll stick to my same name branding but not knock anyone for doing otherwise.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Again - Thanks for the info, direction & even the negitive thoughts. they are all welcome & my thread was not just to piss the purist off it was actually see if someone had done it.

I've actually had more ford based muscle car & early car/trucks that any. The list includes a '34 Ford with ford flathead power, a '46 Ford p/u with a later Ford flattie too, a 428SJC Torino with 4 spd., a real Falcon Sprint, a '62 Ford Unibody p/u with a 352/auto in it slamned to the ground, a '46 Ford cpe. & untold late Mustang, Capri GT's & now the Fairlane twins. So it's not that I haven't had a few Fords in my past ....

I have visited the LS forum & see lots of swaps. Lots of interesting IDEAS.

I will evaluate the options & make a decision after my other '64 has been completed & sold.

Thanks.

6T4 Bolt

·
Registered
734 Posts
lol yeah this is the site where pure ford gurus can share advice. hence the name. i think the hostility here stems more from say the chevy enthusiast we all have ran into that hate ford to the bone... while standing next to a ford hotrod.... with a chevy 350 in its bay. grrrrr. in fact a LS in a ford is a good thing in many ways. do it, if anything it would be unique. even if u have a to fall to the 'there' level.....

many of us here have non-FoMoCo parts in our fords. me? i have an hei distributor. works great ;)

·
Registered
5,337 Posts

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Don't tell anyone about my Volvo rear disc calipers... :eek::D Hey, you can't build any Ford to make 1200 hp for the price of valve springs, gaskets, injectors and a cam on a $500 wrecking yard pullout - let alone do it on factory rods, crank and cast pistons on race gas and boost with only 300 cubes. Reliably. And that will fit in almost any chassis without a plasma cutter. Not every company is perfect, and Ford just dropped the ball and let GM run with it this time. That's how it goes. On the other hand, wouldn't you rather see a hot Fairlane on the streets where 99 out of 100 folks would never know the engine anyway, than put the 'Lane to the pasture in favor of a _____ (pic your least favorite GM model). If it were not for your Ford-loving Fathers and Grandfathers (the original 'rodders) stuffing SBCs into Fords, then Ford would never have been clearly associated as the "hotrod". Hotrodding takes all types. You be yours and let him be his.

David

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I remember reading somewhere FORD got it's reputation during the Flathead days. Nothing referring to SBC.

And they had to use FORD bodies as the Stovebolts rusted away.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd like to thank all for the thoughts, coments & ideas ... I'll have a better feel as I get closer to selling the 25.4 car.

All input was welcome & interesting.

Thank you.

6T4 Bolt

1 - 20 of 77 Posts