Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So new member, thought i'd introduce myself with a brief story. Was recently at work dicussing cars with a few loca patrons (happens alot in an irish pub) and one of the guys asked me if i could give him a hand one day. He has a 79 plymouth volare that he manages to keep runnning regardless of very little mechanical knowledge. so i help him tinker with a few odds and ends and he tells me he has a car i might be interested in. I almost give away my excitement (and my great price) when he told me he had a 66 Galaxie parked in his yard. One look and i fell in love. she's been through some rough years though. story goes she ran just fine before she got parked in the back of a yard...tucked between an orange tree and old boat (yup, sounds like florida). Pulled her out and dragged her to my house. first thing i had to do was clean off all the mildew and mold. took about 4 hours but i got her scrubbed from bumper to bumper. Almost made a new car out her with just a little elbow grease. Discover the interior is in pretty excellent shape (though it is aftermarket and doesn't always line up perfectly), somebody engraved some sweet roses going down both sides of the rear window. Most of the parts (ie..trim, bezel, antennae) were somewhere inside the car. rust has eaten a few holes...the driver rear quarter being the worst. all in all pretty good find for just over $1000

·
Administrator
21,678 Posts
Great find and welcome to the forum!
You can use photobucket.com for your pics if you wanted and it gives the link for forums and such, just copy and paste it here.

Other wise, you should be able to click on the little paper clip and upload a picture also. After the pic is located and on there you have to go clear over to the right and click on 'upload' then you'll see it in the dropdown menu of the paperclip. Just click and add to your post.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well now that i've got the hang of pictures again (been awhile since i've frequented a forum) slight progress report...plan of attack has been laid down and parts list has been put together.

for the sake of conversation i have to start with the fact that i live across the street from the beach in north florida. so i have to make my first concern slowing down all this rust. for the sake of time and money...cause with this salt air, time is going to run out quick...i'm going to brush most of the rust away, give it a few good coats of rustoluem, and then we will be pop-riveting new still temporarily into place. kind of hoping it gives it an interesting jet fighter feel until i hone my welding talents. throw in a car cover and she might make it a few more years:D

now for the reason i'm saving those pennies...is a quick overhaul of everything below the rust. figuring since she's been sitting for so long i would dive right into the basics. going to replace the battery, solenoid, coil, plugs and wires. rebuild the carb after it soaks for a few days. going to rebuild the brakes from the pads and springs to the the master cyclinder. as far as engine and tranny i'm going to replace all filters and gaskets. full fluid drain and swap.

fun fact already replaced the air cleaner with a holley free-flow that's been laying around for 10 years haha. modified it slightly to throw a little ford under the hood. all pics to come

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
all cleaned up and nowhere to go

have to give credit to my amazing and gorgeous girlfriend for helping...and...enduring hours of scrubbing to get the Gal all cleaned up

you can actually see through the windows now haha

interior came out pretty good...probably going to need another once over. waiting to take seats out to remove carpet, to really detail the seats

took the ford eblem off the trunk...would have drivin me crazy since it was off center. decided to remove the holley tag and glue on the ford.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Pathy Segway

Awesome new development, falling into the financial gains aspect of this build. Saved an 88 pathfinder from the junkyard the otherday. Girlfriend's parents decided they were going to junk it rather than deal with it...it being a suspension bolt and a battery. needless to say i took it for the price of towing it out of the yard and into mine. going over it and talking with the prospective father inlaw...total damage addes up to cracked windshield ($50), rear ended tailgate ($100 w/o glass, current is perfect) which only slightly mattered since it has the swinging secondary tailgate with spare tire bolted onto it to keep rear hatch securely shut. one other thing was the power steering was out.

one plus is that it has 5 damn near brand new tires. not bad for a car i plan to repair and sell for a couple hundred quick bucks, turning into back into galaxie. well before i could even turn a bolt a friend stops by after work and offers to buy it there on the spot for exactly what i planned to sell it for repaired. end of story....AWESOME!

quick pick-88 nissan pathfinder 5speed 4x4

·
Registered
185 Posts
looks like a great beginning... Oh and Kudos to your girlfriend for doing great work! i know how hard it is scrubbing off the old film, mold, and such. having a woman that shares your passion is priceless!

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
before painting over any cleaned/brushed away surface rust:

get a quart of 'OSPHO' from your local Ace hardware store, or go to a automotive paint store and pick up some of any other brand of 'metalprep'.
It is a mild Phosphoric acid you brush over bare metal, and it converts ANY iron oxide into a crystalline iron phosphate- and ANY bare metal will have at least microscopic rust unless you grind it in a vacuum :) the etched surface gives incredible 'bite' to the paint, but mostly it prevents rust from forming under the paint.

its like <$10 a quart, stops rust dead in its tracks. If you want a longer term coating than rustoleum, get a quart of POR15 (about $25) brush that over the acid etched metal, and it takes a grinder to remove it. POR is not 'paint' but a moisture cured urethane- if you open the can and humid air hits it, the can will be jello in a hour. get some hardware store tubing or a rubber stopper, poke a hole in the lid that fits tight to the stopper or tubing (2 holes for loop of tubing) and pour out small amounts into a disposable container and use as needed- plug can immediately. get cheep china brushes from harbor freight to put it on.
Note- its not paint, and does NOT adhere to painted surfaces at all...bare areas only, but its super at stopping rust. if you want to paint over it, you will need POR's special primer- paint wont stick to the POR15 without their primer either.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts