Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - bought a set of lug nuts because my nuts are two different sizes, but the ones that I purchased are not correct - probably my fault.
I got 1/2 thread, 20/inch.

Obviously not right, but does anyone have the correct thread spec please?

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I thought 1/2 X 20 was the typical size and thread pitch for the full size Fords. What is your year and model?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
63.5 - I bought the set expecting them to fit, but they tighten up real fast, within a single turn

·
Registered
63 convertable
848 Posts
studs may have been changed. rub a piece of paper on the stud and count the lines in a half inch-- x 2 =pitch

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Ricky, no - bought from the US so the cost of the lug nuts plus postage was comparatively expensive, and then the frigging things don't fit.. Not happy.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Ricky - no, I bought the car from Florida a couple of years ago, so other than some Aussie sweat, blood and swearing, it's all US-spec....

I would have thought these nuts would just spin on, but there's no chance of that it appears.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll have a look at that - I might have one in my tap n die set...

Good idea

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Take both sizes of nuts to a hardware store, they will have a screw-in tester. You probably need a real hardware store not a big box.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok - I was a *****. Sprayed some WD40 on them, and spun them on - worked perfectly....

The Zinc plating must have been thicker on the first 2 I pulled out and needed to be cleaned out by the stud thread.
It's good news anyway, because now all my lug nuts are the same size - for whatever reason I had 6 that were a larger socket size and would have been an issue if the car had got a flat on the road at some stage!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts