Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was checking out that crate motor in the catalog the other day, just want to know what your views are on this motor as compared to building an engine from scratch. Seems to me a crate motor would eliminate a lot of headaches with building an engine via an engine builder when you know you're getting what you're paying for. Let me know what you all think. Thanks.

·
Registered
359 Posts
O remember reading a while back about the FRPP 460 that went boom
I think the question to ask yourself is how much do those people puttin g the motor together care about what they are doing, and how much would you care if you were building your own motor

I would build it will probally be cheaper and you know what ya got then

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
It's a lot of coin. And the quality sucks. I purchased a 514 that lasted 45 miles. Seems someone on the line forgot to put the pins in properly...they floated and scored the wall, screwed up 2 rods and pistons. So now I have a 525 for an extra $7,500.....$13,000 for an engine I could have built for half.

·
Registered
749 Posts
the only good thing about the 392W ford long or shortblock is that it uses a 351w sportsman block. I you can live without that it is cheaper to use a standard block.
Altough Ive have also heard about probs with the 514 crate motor. I have not heard such probs wit the 392w crate motor.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have always felt that if you really want a strong motor build it yourself. Ford has not really stepped up to the plate with their "crate" motors. G.M. stands behind their motors. Sad but true. Build your own, work with a good machine shop, buy a few tools, read a few books,you can do a better job than the hourly guys. And you will have about $1000.00 cash left for other projects.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the reply guys. this is just a topic I'm wondering about when I'm ready to do stage 2 of my project.

Yes you can guess and wonder about the quality and attitude of the individual that is putting these crate engines together on the line and you can wonder the same about the individual that will be working on the engine at the machine shop that you choose to build this engine for you.

I really don't think that building it yourself would cost less than buying a crate motor "all ready to go". Yes I work in the auto trade and can get parts at trade prices but the heavy machining and installation of some of these parts would be left for a shop to install. When I figured the parts needed to build my 351W (not stroker) with the Canfield heads that I want to use and everything else needed to get about "500 horses (used desktop dyno to figure out the details)" and have it somewhat reliable you are putting your money into the reputation of said shop and it may or may not work out in your favor. It's a gamble you're taking going either route.

Most machine shops don't offer a warranty if something happens (especially to a race motor which is what this motor would be when built), and neither does Ford. I have had an engine built before for a 5.0 Mustang I used to own (351W, EFI, J302 heads, pretty well all out) but my builder neglected one thing on it with the hyd. roller cam setup and this wrecked the cam and lifters. I ended up going to a flat tappet cam and after this was installed all was well. The motor was built strong and worked great but I don't think I could ever forgive that shop for ***king up my roller cam setup. That's the main reason why I'm thinking about going the crate motor route. Another is trying to get info about the canfield heads. I emailed them with questions about lead time needed and deposits to have a set ready for me to pick up when I'm travelling down to Ohio this summer. I emailed like a month and a half ago after talking to them on the phone a few times and have yet to receive an email or a call (they have my number) from them. I figured that if they don't want my money or business I can take my hard earn money elsewhere (looked into AFR heads too since then) if I'm going to build my engine from scratch.

Anyways, there's positives and negatives with going either route and it looks like most of you like the "build it yourself or let a shop build it". I'll weigh both sides and will decide which to go with in the near future. Sorry for the ranting in my post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts