Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heyas,

Was just curious what you guys are paying for machinework nowadays? I know you can pick up a fully CnC machined DSS level 10 block for 625$...with shipping to AZ that ends up being 860$ or so...including liftgate service. I talked to a Machinist here in Phoenix, and here was his quote.

"I checked on a 302 block. It is $950. for a non-roller block.
Price includes:
*Bare block
*Vat block
*Mag block for cracks
*Steelabate block
*thermal clean block
*bore, hone and plateau hone to fit your pistons
*Install cam bearings
*Line hone main saddles
*Deck block
*tap and repair bolt holes as needed."

Does this seem fair? It's been four years since I've built a motor, so I'm well out of the loop on pricing. I know that DSS has a back and forth rep about their crate motors, but I've never heard anything bad about their machine work and machined blocks. What are you guys thoughts?

Cris

·
Registered
991 Posts
well summit has fresh old stock 302 roller blocks for 499.00 I would stay away from DSS. Those level 10 and 20 blocks? LOL And yes tom is 10 minutes from my house and have dealt with dss many time in the past 15 years before they were big time magazine ad buyers

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I'd still have to have the Summit block machined to fit my pistons and such regardless. Plus we all know factory deck tolerances are chancy at best...so for power it would need to be decked at minimum square.

Bleh, I've always hated this part...even more than assembly, machinework can make or break a motor, and you never know if you REALLY are getting what you pay for. Until it blows anyhow =/.

Maybe I should just go ahead and go through my machinist here in town.

Cris

·
Registered
991 Posts
oh looks like they dont even offer them anymore. A bunch of machine work money in a stock late model block is crazy IMO. I would stay local on machine work to avoid crazy shipping cost back and forth if a problem arises

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
I paid about $1200 at a local performance shop. They did all that was listed above plus:

clearance for stroker
tap oil galleys for NPT plugs
balance the rotating assembly
line bore for new ARP main studs

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
$950 seems excessive to me for machine work even if it does include the block. Pic a Part will sell a complete shortblock for less than $100.It's hard to imagine another $850 for basic machine work. Maybe half that would be more reasonable.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Here in Vegas "Fultz's Machine" ... Where all my stuff happens

Basic Clean & Check the block for defects ... Bore the Cylinders ... Freeze Plugs ... Cam Bearings ... Normal Stuff ... certainly not over four ... maybe five hundred at most would be the limit.

I normally end up milling the decks ... but not until I drop the pistons in to see how they sit in the hole, that last step might get me close to the five hundred total dollar level.

Add the cost of your core block ... and see what you get for an end number

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I talked to Mach Developement here in town, the same people that do the machine work on my dad's race motors.

125$ bare block
350$ bore, and torque plate hone to my pistons
225$ line hone if necessary
150$ square and equalize decking to 'true'

225$ basic balancing (no heavy metal or excessive drilling)

She said these are their old prices, and that the pricing is in the process of being increased, but since it was us, she'd use these prices. The only thing with these guys...NOTHING goes out of his shop without being perfect. Period. If I had a Dart block, there wouldn't be anyone else touching it lol, regardless of cost. For a factory block I'm not so worried, and just want fair work for a fair price.

By the way, these guys are the guys that gave me the first pricing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRAND-NEW-FORD-331-400HP-HI-PERFORMANCE-BALANCED-ENGINE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQihZ004QQitemZ140033398088QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

They've been around a long time, and actually from what I've heard put out a quality product. I'm just wondering if it's worth the 100$ over someone like DSS (warning noted Woody1!) etc.

Cris

·
Registered
233 Posts
Keith Craft has a cnc block mill, Here is an itemized list from my bill.

bore and hone 250.00
square deck 125.00
line hone 125.00
notch for stroke(stroker) 80.00
size lifter bores 40.00
oil restrictors 30.00
clean paint prep install plugs 95.00
install cam bearings includes bearings 40.00
oil filter insert 10.00
shop supplies 5.00
so if you're running hyd cam take away oil restrictors, and stock stroke take away notch for stroke. Puts you right around 700 bucks plus block and shipping. the quality of work was excellent.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I really does depend on what area of the country your in for pricing on machine work. I wouldn't waste the money on a DSS product. Typical Pricing in my area.

Bore and Hone $180-220
Balance $180 and Up
Line Hone $150
Deck $140
Boil, Cam Bearings Freeze Plugs $150
5.0 Core Blocks $50-$150 depend on who you buy it from.

You can purchase a new Ford Sportsman block for around $900.

As far as factory machine work on Ford Roller Blocks its usually pretty decent.

·
Registered
36 Posts
As far as pricing goes around here it pretty much runs what DFree383 said. The main thing is find a shop with a good rep that you can trust. The guy I use isn't the cheapest in my area but I trust him. And he has always done good work for me. I used another shop in the past and got screwed. So be careful. And ask around before you drop your stuff off. As for a new block they can go either way. They still need to be checked and machined for your pistons. But the problem you run into with new blocks. Some times not always is core shift. When the block heat cycles the first few times things can move. It's rare but it does happen. I prefer a good standard bore seasoned block. But that's just me.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
I pulled out my old bill. This is from Jim Green's Performance Center near Seattle.

Hot Tank Block $68.99
Magnaflux Block $48.99
Bore with Torque Plates $178.99
Hone Mainline $98.99
Surface Block $78.99
Balance Assembly $265.99
Install Cam Bearings 38.99
Install Galley Plugs $18.99
Labor to clearance for stroker $88.50

This is a total of $887.42
The block was $100 on craigs list.
Grand Total = $987.42

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just talked to another machinist today, H&H Machine, he quoted me 550$ for everything, including block cleaning, bore and torque plate hone, deck, line hone if necessary, and balance the stroker assy. He also said he'd supply me a block for 100-150$. Not too bad, and more inline with the pricing I'm seeing here. I think I'll swing by his shop this afternoon and see how his setup looks. Think I have a winner =).

Cris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts